Tri-fold doors?

KGB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a gap in an external wall through to a conservatory which we want to put internal doors in to reduce drafts during the winter.

I've put in a substantial door frame (35mm thick timber) screwed to the wall and lintel leaving a gap of c.1970(h)x1720(w).

Can anyone suggest a way of getting tri-fold doors (6 panels in 2 doors) that will fit? Wooden or uPVC would be considered. I've not seen anyone making or selling tri-fold doors for internal use in these sort of sizes.

I'm also struggling to find a mechanism to take the weight of the doors. Any advice or recommendations would be great.

Sponsored Links
KGB said:
I'm... ...struggling to find a mechanism to take the weight of the doors. Any advice or recommendations would be great..
Tri-fold doors frequently run top-hung on on tracks - try contacting an "Architectural Ironmonger" in your area or Hafele or Hettich (these two firms generally sell through architectural ironmongers and NOT direct unless you are trade with an account). One name that comes to mind is Hawa (distributed by Hafele, I think). 35mm is not what I'd call a substantial door frame, is it a door frame that you installed or a door casing?

KGB said:
Can anyone suggest a way of getting tri-fold doors (6 panels in 2 doors) that will fit? Wooden or uPVC would be considered. I've not seen anyone making or selling tri-fold doors for internal use in these sort of sizes.
Have you though about using a joiner? After all it is a pretty non-standard requirement so made to measure is probably the order of the day. I've found that frame and panel at that size (c. 283mm wide) are not that difficult to make if you have the equipment (being a joiner, I have), but you are asking in effect for six frame and panel doors to be made, so it isn't the cheapest option, and I doubt you'll find a hardwood solution under about £600 even if a lightweight "paint grade" door set is made.

Whatever you do source the mechanism FIRST, then source your doors to fit as the other way round won't work. If you post which part of the country you are in maybe one of us trades guys will be able to give you a local supplier to contact

Scrit

I'd go for dividing the opening into four doors, two sets of bi-fold as they will take up less room when folded back.

You could then just get away with using 1'6" 457mm doors with 10-12mm ripped off each side. At that size you have quite a choice from the moulded hardboard panel doors upwards.

Hendersons do a track for this purpose.

Jason

Thanks for the above posts guys, I will certainly look at the sizes of bi-fold doors a little more closely.

I'm in Herefordshire / Worcestershire area of the countyr - if there are any people in the are who can custom make doors of this size and type, I'd beinterested to hear from you.

Sponsored Links
I had a 6 foot wide opening and didn't want sliding patio doors (only half an opening for access.)
Normal french doors or bifold meant wide doors intruding into the room.
So I used the side filler panels (Four panes and bottom panelled.)which would be fixed in place alongside 4 foot french doors.
Only ............. I hinged them together in threes, hence tri fold doors.
Only opening the center two gives a 2 foot opening and folding back all three is almos a 6 foot gap and really joins the dining room to the conservatory

riddij said:
Only ............. I hinged them together in threes, hence tri fold doors.
Have you had any problems with the weight of the doors 'pulling' on the hinges? What thickness of timber are the doors and glass?
Thanks for the post.

The doors are 1 3/8" or 35mm and were advertised as filler panels to fix solid alongside 4 foot french doors, singly to make up 6 foot opening or double to fit 4 foot french doors in an 8 foot opening.
They came ready glazed in styles to match most internal doors.
I fitted three 3" hinges to each of the four hanging doors and they have been up for nearly two years and are still parallel with the top of the frame.
The majority of the time the two outer doors are locked in place with a top bolt. Which adds to the support, or wide open and folded back which I would suspect reduces the leverage on the hinges.
Mine are pine finished with a clear varnish.
Obtained from Wicks, there were several choices of wood and glass.
Total cost £ 160 plus a few 3x2's for a frame.
Finished off with some fancy architrave, I have been well chuffed with them and although most folks (Including the resident expert at Wick's )said it couldn't be done, everyone who has ever seen them is well impressed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back