when paint over putty ?

JPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
greetings

i'm fitting some putty into my window frames (wooden).

2 questions

how long before in can paint it (inside the house)

is there anything that might be used instead of putty (a bit messy and 28 days drying time ?)

thx

Sponsored Links
Leave the putty to harden for about 14 days before painting but i have even painted putty on the same day as application, due to costs etc.

Yep..I agree..sometimes you have to do it..but the linseed oil in the paint can slow its drying down a lot..and when the putty does dry it often wrinkles...but sometimes you have to do it..you cant leave a scaffold up for weeks on end just so you can go back to paint the window.

I'd leave it for as long as possible

nothing out there that can be used instead of putty then ?

what about ordinary polyfiller or similar ? any problems ?

Sponsored Links
It was said that you could use ready mixed Tetrion..personally I wouldnt...and you'l have a job getting polyfilla into the shame shape as the putties on the window.re you just talking about the 'back putties'?..the thin bit inbetween the glass and the inside of the rebate?

You use to be able to buy a synthetic putty for metal framed windows (crittals) but it seems that ordinary putty is ok for those now too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back