new taps fitted now hot water one is only a trickle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted new mixer tap to the bath - it is exactly the same as the one that was origianly there. I thought all was ok but now the hot water is only a trickle but the cold water is fine - anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Are they 1/4 turn tap handles?

What type of hot water system do you have - combination boiler or hot water cylinder?

If cylinder do you have mains prssure to cold tap only?

If cylinder how high is the cold water stirage cistern above taps?

ok the taps are ordinary twist taps, nothing fancy, we replaced like with like, the hot water is comming from the cylinder in hot press, the cold is mains. The sink next to the bath is fine the pressure is normal, it just seems to be the hot tap in the bath! Thanks for helping!

You mean a normal washered tap ie several turns to open to full on.

Have you used a flexible tap connector - the bore can be restrictive on the cheap ones. What size is the pipework 15 or 22mm?

Is the tap valve a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch size compare with old taps (you are not comparing the thread this will be 3/4 - you need to know the valve size)

Sponsored Links
right its a normal washered tap, the pipework is 22mm and the tap valve is 3/4 - the exact same as the old one!!

Have you checked to make sure the taps are suitable for low pressure systems?

dont think so we have water - its just slowing so bloody slow!!!!

Unless there's a fault with the tap and the washers not rising perhaps an airlock.

Put your hand over the spout, open up the hot. The open cold and backflow cold water through the hot pipework for a minute os so.

ok going to try that now - I will let you know in a few mins. thanks!

it worked but only for a while, how long does it take, holding it and running the water through

If it worked for a while there is still likely to be an airlock.

Try opening other hot taps in turn.

If that doesn't work then blast mains pressure water through the tank connector (and through the hot pipework) in the cistern above.

Drag up a hose connected to the mains. Don't go mad with the pressure though.

ok I know what your saying but all the other hot water taps in the house are flowing fine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back