ecoTEC ecoMAX whats the difference ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iv had countless dealings with the ecoMAX range, but not with the ecoTEC.

Is there a real difference, im talking about diagnostics and such, as they, at glance look very familiar to me !!! ( ecoMAX in disguise )

Thanks

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Vaillant dont make it very clear or perhaps they dont want to justify the £100 or so extra cost?

So I asked at a Plumb Centre where they sell them. They got out all the brochures and looked at them and virtually said "well it must be the price then"!

I think that there are minor styling differences, perhaps a timeclock or something but there does not seem to be much! I will ask at Interbuild near Cov next week! They are closing the Ryton Peugot plant next year by the way!

I would say that they realised their boilers were over priced but did not want to upset all those who had already bought them at the inflated price so they devised a near identical model and priced it at the market rate! And they sold at the rate of nine for every one of the expensive model!

Tony

Totally agree "Tony" , like i said i haven't had the fortune to work on a ecoTEC, as yet.

The reason i ask, Vaillant sent me the usual literature regarding the ecoTEC, this morning, as i do breakdowns for EGA, WARMFRONT, ect.

Most of which is either Vaillant or " dare i say it " IDEAL , which i have my reservations about.

Thanks for the info Tony regarding the Ryton plant, im following this as well, me old chap used to work there, when i was a boy, back when it was building the old Avenger, then it went to the tolbot , such dreads as the Alpine.

God rest his sole. :)

Dave.

New type of ht/ex , forgot what they call it . It has a plastic coating and the flue comes out of the top this will stop the prob of leaking flue hood.

Sponsored Links
Plus in ecoMax you got this option to run all the pipe from under the boiler to the ceilling excpt condensing pipe.

I was told at the show that the Ecomax uses the same Gianonni HE like most other condensing boilers.

But the Ecotec uses a cheaper design but again made by Gianonni just for Vaillant to use on that model.

Tony

Tony any ideas,

Was working on an Ecomax, customer reported a leak.

Went there, and as usual, as i have found before, the inside looked bloody awful. It was obviously the condensate leaking inside the boiler.

Traced leak to the nylon / plastic union nut underneath the H / E which connects to the trap.

Anyhow, changed for a new one, including `O` rings ect.

Gets a recall today, same thing again, leaking.

Looked inside, yet its bone dry, yet owner has a small container with a small amount of water in !

Removed main burner, so as to get more access to the trap and its joining pipe work.

Looked directly behind the nylon nut , on the heat exchanger and theres a small square cut out in the body of the H / E, this was slightly damp.

Bottom line, no water leaks inside boiler, no pressure drop, were the **** is this water coming from.

This one is really ****ing me off.

Don't get me wrong, i know these boilers well , and Vailliant say they ain't had problems with leaks, thats bullshit.

Any info would be very very grateful.

Dave.

andsam said:
New type of ht/ex , forgot what they call it . It has a plastic coating and the flue comes out of the top this will stop the prob of leaking flue hood.

Thanks for info too.

CorgiIOW, do you remember this thread where we discussed the problem of condensate leakage from Vaillant heat exchangers? I think it might help.

As i mentioned previousley it is the same flue adaptor as the glow-worm XI range. They have now changed the seal and adaptor depending on age you may get it replaced on warranty as it is a known boiler fault.Also they usually fit a low water pressure switch at the same time.

chrishutt said:
CorgiIOW, do you remember this thread where we discussed the problem of condensate leakage from Vaillant heat exchangers? I think it might help.

Thanks Chris, i do remember now "Stupid me" .

Thinking about it, i changed a H / E a year or so ago, and the seal at the back was different to the one i took off.

Just to say, the customer has rang me today, to say its leaking again, yet i worked that boiler hard for at least an hour yesterday with no sign of any leaks. :evil:

According to the notes i have, this boiler is 3 years old.

Thanks again Chris.

Dave.

gasgeezer said:
As i mentioned previousley it is the same flue adaptor as the glow-worm XI range. They have now changed the seal and adaptor depending on age you may get it replaced on warranty as it is a known boiler fault.Also they usually fit a low water pressure switch at the same time.

Many thanks to you too, Gasgeezer, fking Vaillant tech are nowt but out and out liars when it comes to known boiler defects.

Dave.

corgiIOW said:
yet i worked that boiler hard for at least an hour yesterday with no sign of any leaks.
From my limited experience of this problem, I think that leakage mainly occurs when large volumes of condensate are formed, i.e. when burner is on high flame but return water is relatively cold. Perhaps more likely to occur with high thermostat setting and when system water is cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back