vent waste pipe necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it always necessary to have a device to provide a vent to air if connecting the waste pipe directly onto a closed connector on the sink trap assembly (instead of an open stand pipe)? I've got his setup at the moment (without vent) and it hasn't caused any problems, but I'm having a new kitchen installed and wonder if I'd be better going for an open stand pipe to be on the safe side.

Sponsored Links
Use of a standpipe recommended by all manufacturer's, in my experience, and for good reason.

Personally, I hate those washing m/c connections on sink waste assemblies. They get in the way, the hose connection on the spigot is prone to leaking, they're prone to blocking, they put an undesitable shearing load on the trap-to-sink connection, and they don't encourage the correct rise and fall of the hose. Need I go on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back