2 plugs into 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Have exchanched a 2 plug socket for a 1 plug socket. How should I treat the \\\'unwanted\\\' L, N & E wires from the 2nd plug? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Were the "unwanted" cables connected into the "2 plug socket" before you started?

If that's the case then they need to go into the "1 plug socket" as well.

I'm not sure I have that right though, so if you could explain your problem again, just to be sure?

That’s an unusual question.

When you say a 2 plug socket I assume you mean a double. If that’s the case it will only have 3 terminals, L-N-E. If it’s wired on a ring circuit you will have 2 lives, 2 neutrals and 2 earths in each of the terminals.

When you say 1 plug socket I assume you mean a single socket which also has 3 terminals. This would be wired in the same way, both the lives in L, both the neutrals in N and both the earths in E.

Have I interpreted your question correctly?

Thanks for getting back!! Very bad terminology by me... I'll try again...

I have removed a double plug wall socket and replaced with a single socket.

There were two cables feeding the double socket, one of which is now feeding the single... for the other cable, I have wrapped the L, N & E individually with insulated tape and plastered behind the wall.

I have been advised that this is not best practice and that there is a plate which I should connect the disused wires to and which is then plastered over. Are my tape-wrapped wires at risk?
Hope this helps??

Sponsored Links
The double socket was fed by 2 cables because its wired to form a ring circuit. BOTH of the cables need to be connected together in your new single socket as stated above.

You must retrieve the other cable and connect it as you no longer have a ring circuit.

doonballoon said:
There were two cables feeding the double socket, one of which is now feeding the single... for the other cable, I have wrapped the L, N & E individually with insulated tape and plastered behind the wall.
FFS.

What on earth made you think you were safe to work on electrics when you don't possess the tiniest amount of knowledge?

I know. So you can imagine my surprise when I landed the job of Senior Electrical Engineer at Wembley Stadium !!

the mind boggles why you would want to exchange a double socket for a single you could always not use the second socket !!!!!! :rolleyes: :confused:

doonballoon said:
I know. So you can imagine my surprise when I landed the job of Senior Electrical Engineer at Wembley Stadium !!
Bit of a downward move after T5, surely?

Gaz TS ... not only am I a master electrician.... pause .... but a top carpenter too!!
I built a set of wardrobes that overlapped one of the sockets, rendering it completely pointless.[/quote]

Doonballon...Well first post I have read 2day that made me smile, are you still doing the plumbing course or was the pilots license first. :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back