Fair price for a new front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a quote for a new front door in my tenement flat in Glasgow. Can anyone tell me if it is a good price? Thanks! :LOL:

Details of Work: Supply and install replacement entrance door to flat at above address as discussed and as detailed below :

Solid core flush plywood door, lipped two long edges, primer painted white, fitted with 2no. 5-lever B.S. 3621 deadlocks, 1no. Yale Insurance Night Latch XBS1, 3no. brass hinges, brass door viewer, brass letterplate with inner flap, 1 pair white hinge bolts.

Repair door jamb full height, repair door facing and replace door stop, all on lock side of door.

All for the Sum of : Nett Price £619.22
plus V.A.T. @ 17.5% £ 108.36

Estimate Total £ 727.58

Sponsored Links
What are the door dimensions and thicknness?
Was the previous door/frame damaged/forced in a burglary?
Are the repairs referred to mere patching or replacement of a leg of jamb?
Exterior doors typically dont have planted stops, the stops are stuck ie. one piece jamb/frame.
After shooting the door in, all edges and mortices should be primed.
Removal of old door from site?

I don't have the measurements for the door as I live in London but its fairly wide in keeping with style of Victorian Tenements. The door frame was damaged when I brought the property and I'm not sure how the damage was caused.

Here is what the joiner stated in his original assessment.

Visited flat on Monday this week. Existing door is of hollow cell construction and I would suggest not very secure. There is some minor damage to lock side door jamb, architrave and door stop which is all repairable. My suggested replacement/repair works is as follows :
Replace door with solid core flush plywood door, hardwood lipped two long edges fitted with 3no. brass hinges, 2no. hinge bolts, 2no. 5-lever (B.S.3621) deadlocks, 1no. 5-lever (B.S.3621) sashlock, brass letterplate, brass handles, brass door viewer. Primer paint white (further coats by others). Renew lock side door stop, replace section of door jamb full height of door opening, glued and screwed into place, replace section of door architrave.

It sounds like a fair price for the joiner but not for you,get yourself some more qoutes marra! ;)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they will replace the locking leg of jamb and the same side architrave.
The door can be pre-installation primed, undercoated and one top coated. This will save you work by others. Same with jamb and archy and touched up on completion.
Access, time, lift and shift and safe parking are bugbears for tenements and high rise work - two workers might be required.
The installation could take a days labour for a one off.
Any skilled ,self employed person earning less than £200/day is a fool to him/herself - work it out with the materials costs.

I would say the materials would be £200 max ,provided he is fitting Bs dead locks as these are a lot more exspensive than normal dead locks .
You might get a cheaper quote but not a lot .
Iwonder if he is charging extra for working in a posh part of Glasgow ;) :LOL:

sounds a bit steep to me I would say a days work plus as splinter says £200 should easily cover materials incl vat so even at £200 labour plus VAT then thats still under £450. The price he's charging is what I would charge for a half decent hardwood front door fit.
"solid core flush plywood door, hardwood lipped two long edges" is a posh way of saying a £25 fire door.I know you are in London but I would get someone else to look at it.and give you a sensible price.

btw if you are having two deadlocks fitted (sounds like your previous door was kicked in) make sure they are suited to the same key. Costs a few pounds extra, once, but will save you time and trouble in years to come (as well as halving the cost of spare keys, and increasing the chance that people will bother to lock it properly).

However it will mean buying the locks from a proper Chubb agent or similar rather than a discount builders merchant.

Thanks for the advice. I’m going to get another quote and I’ve asked this guy to break down his quote into labour and material cost. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back