Can I wire a Pond this way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Kids have decided that they want a pond in the garden.
As luck would have it the best place for the pond is about three feet from the corner of my garage that has power.

I’ve been out looking at the bits I need to build the pond and the flex from the pump and filter is long enough to go straight through the garage wall where I intend to connect them to one of these.

21813.jpg

The spare switches are in case anything else will need adding in the future. (Lights or fountain for example.)

This I intend to power this from an RCD FCU, or a 1 gang RCD Spur, taken from an existing socket in the garage. (The garage has its own non RCD CU providing two RCD radial sockets. No heavy loads just a freezer, battery charger and dehumidifier.)

My questions are,

1. Is it OK to rum the flex straight trough to the garage as it’s such a short run. (I keep on reading that SWA must be used outdoors but even if I do this there will still be a run of the flex from this to the filter and pump.)
2. If it is OK should I use some sort of conduit for the three foot run to the garage and if so what conduit is best.
3. What is best to use to connect to the power, The RCD FCU or the RCD Spur? (Or are these the same thing with different names?)
4. Should all the above be OK is the work notifiable as all the connections will be indoors.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks Mottsy

Sponsored Links
1. Is it OK to rum the flex straight trough to the garage as it’s such a short run. (I keep on reading that SWA must be used outdoors but even if I do this there will still be a run of the flex from this to the filter and pump.)

If its going straight through the wall and then into the device, then flex is fine, if its going to be buried (or run anywhere else where there is a higher than normal risk of damage then SWA should be used)

2. If it is OK should I use some sort of conduit for the three foot run to the garage and if so what conduit is best.
Running inside earthed steel galvonised consuit is an alternative to using SWA, but its not the easiest stuff to work with

3. What is best to use to connect to the power, The RCD FCU or the RCD Spur? (Or are these the same thing with different names?)
Both the same, but if you spur to the device, then ensure the socket is itself not a spur from a ring, or ideally put the supply terminals directly on the ring (if you have one in the garage)

4. Should all the above be OK is the work notifiable as all the connections will be indoors.
I'm 98% sure its notifiable :cry: , I'm sure ban all sheds (our resident part poo expert) will be along in a minute to confirm this though

Many thanks Mottsy[/quote]

The work in your garage is not notifyable, if u already have power to the garage. The cable u wanna run under/ across ur garden IS notifyable.

As Adam has said flex is fine but if it's outside PVC flexible cable is not waterproof and white flex will degrade and break down in sunlight. Use black rubber flexible cable outside.

Sponsored Links
It's the flex that is already factory fitted to the pump and filter that I shall be using.
I assume it is specifically designed for outdoor use and waterproof. (I'm looking at buying a Hozelock Pump and Filter.)
As mentioned the flex will be long enough to go straight into the garage without any joins or extension, and then to the switch that will be inside the garage.

I would reccomend running the flex into the garage in some sort of conduit or ducting. This will give the cable extra mechanical protection, and also if you should ever have to remove or replace the switcher it will save you having to dig the garden up again.

Rob

Sorry, please ignore my last response, I totally mis-read your original question. (That'll teach me to post after a few glasses of white.) :oops:

Fratton sPark said:
Sorry, please ignore my last response, I totally mis-read your original question. (That'll teach me to post after a few glasses of white.) :oops:

Although you are correct ;)

Adding the FCU in the garage is not notifiable unless it involves creating a new circuit, the work outside in the garden will be part of a special installation and hence will be notifiable.

Does the Armadillo set have "modular" integral plug and socket connections?

Spark123 said:

As far a the approved Part P document (the one I would personally refer to in any conversations with BC ;)) goes, it does NOT mention the term "integral". However,

integral
: existing as an essential constituent or characteristic.

You are correct it does mention modular.

Definition of modular....

Of, relating to, or based on a module or modulus.
Designed with standardized units or dimensions, as for easy assembly and repair or flexible arrangement and use: modular furniture; modular homes.

It doesnt say "the plugs and sockets" must be moulded or pre attatched, at time of purchase, to the cable.

The part P doc says its non-notifiable providing that...

The equipment is CE approved (it is) and linked by plug and socket connectors (they will be if using more than one) and that if final connections are made in kitchens or special locations, the connection be made to an existing connection unit or point (possibly a 13A socket outlet) (it would be).

I guess they are saying "linked "as a way of describing TWO or more of these items joined together.I.E A set of under cupboard lights "linked" by plug and socket. Like these.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...hting/Linkable_Flourescent_Fitting/index.html

Not as one unit, which is plugged in at one end and has a socket outlet at the other.

Similar rules apply to these....

http://www.evoline.co.uk/acatalog/Evoline-kitchen-power-and-data-systems.html

Sorry its a bit long winded. Cheers.

totallyspies said:
Spark123 said:

As far a the approved Part P document (the one I would personally refer to in any conversations with BC ;)) goes, it does NOT mention the term "integral". However,
The law says "(c) pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections"
You are referring to the guidance document issued by the ODPM, which has a few discrepences with the law.
You are correct it does mention modular.
Only in the guidance, not in law.
It doesnt say "the plugs and sockets" must be moulded or pre attatched, at time of purchase, to the cable.
The law says pre-fabricated which take it as you may, means to me not in kit form.

The equipment is CE approved (it is) and linked by plug and socket connectors (they will be if using more than one) and that if final connections are made in kitchens or special locations, the connection be made to an existing connection unit or point (possibly a 13A socket outlet) (it would be).

The armadillo does not have a socket on it, it is described as a junction box so as far as the law is concerned it cannot be "(c) pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections"

[/quote]
The law says "(c) pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections"

Yes it does, however, I already referenced the definition of the word "integral".

You are referring to the guidance document issued by the ODPM, which has a few discrepences with the law.

Im would ,personally, be happy to use this document as reference in the ultra, ultra,ultra unlikely event of meeting a BC rep. I very much doubt any BC rep would even know the actual law (SI2006/652) let alone quote it! And in any case the law doesnt mention the term "modular" only "integral" (definition already referenced)

The law says pre-fabricated which take it as you may,

No, not as I may take it. Prefabricated means....

Constructed in a factory, usually in modules or units, which is then assembled where it is to be used.

or

Prefabrication is the practice of manufacturing the parts of an assembly in one location, ready for them to be assembled in another place.

note the word assembled..IE put it together on site. IE connect the plugs!

means to me not in kit form.

See above

The armadillo does not have a socket on it,
Correct it does not, but will have.

it is described as a junction box

It doesnt matter what the sales literature description says, Part P doc says pre fabricated "equipment" It is pre fabricated equipment. I.E not fabricated on site. And CE marked, ..done after manufactuer.

so as far as the law is concerned it cannot be "(c) pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections"[/quote]

I have already given refrences to the meaning of [/i] "integral" and now "prefabricated".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back