flushing system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a blockage in my system recently and a local company drained the tank in the loft and put in two diffent chemicals. One from a tube and one liquid. They found the blockage and removed ti and all is now well. I have a bill for about £250 which is ok. Now, 6 weeks later, they want to come back and pressure flush the system at a further cost of about £400. Is this essential, since it is presently working very well?

Sponsored Links
If they had said £400 and put the chemicals in and said they'd come back for a power flush, and charged say up to £100 to find and clear the blockage if it was the usual feed pipe scaling, then fair enough, but their method is not one that I'd use, and you could drain, refill and add inhibitor which would be ok.

Just drain it down and add some fernox as said in previous post, job done ;)

If you Really want a powerflush I`ll do it for £300 ;) inhibitor included

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't if you knew

w-sr10clt34e-clandonpark-southfront_park-gallery_picture

where mondial lives :eek:

Thanks for all your replies.

I propose, as per your recommendations, to drain the system and refil with an inhibitor. To drain it, do I tie up the ballcock in the loft (small tank), connect a hose to the hall raditor and let it drain. Or do I drain it with the ballcock free so as to flush the system better?
Are there any complictions that an elderly retired amateur should know about?

There will be loose old sediment lurking about... run the pump before you drain (then switch off boiler & pump) to get it circulating... give it a couple of rinses with clean water until it seems to come out clean... sponge out any mud from the bottom of the F&E tank (into a bucket) after the first drain (with the ballcock tied up so that water flow doesn't stir it up)... make sure all the rdiators are fuly turned on at both ends...

I would drain out with the header tank still filling first, then turn the tank off after the water runs clearer

And with the circulation pump running!

I coined the phrase " Dynamic Flushing" to describe that a few years ago on Gas-News.

Shortly afterwards I noticed that Keith at Camco had used it in their latest instructions!

Its nice to see that manufacturers listen to the users sometimes.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back