Toilet in cellar, soil pipe not...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a search through the archives and i've not been able to find anything specific already answered, so here i go.

potential new place and we would have the cellar done, we'd like to put a small toilet/washbasin down there, there's an area that looks pretty ideal for it. However the waste pipe (to the best of my knowledge) is at the back of the house and connecting the two together might prove impossible.

What are my choices? Firstly i guess sewage will need to be pumped because it's lower than the drains. If it's pumped it will need a macerator, right? I've found all sorts of advice warding off use of macerators however.

So are there other choices open to me? I have no idea whether there is a drain at the front of the house, i have a feeling there isn't. Basically the cellar is at the front and the other side of it would be the front garden. I don't know whether there are any magical tanks or devices that can be used in this situation?

a huge thanks in advance for any pointers...

cheers
paul

Sponsored Links
A Saniflo will probably do what you want (but not necessarily what you need!). My take on this is if the gods had approved of WCs in cellars, they'd have made water flow uphill!

Make sure you put extra long rubber gloves on your Christmas present list (every year).

thanks for those leads. sadly the cellar is the best place at the moment unless we move back to outside victorian loos.

although as for water up hill:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4955398.stm

but i digress!

What depth are the sewers usually at, or do they vary from region to region? There's no chance they'd be low enough for a gravity based connection?

thanks
paul

Sponsored Links
Can be @ any depth.......lift a manhole lid and measure....you may be lucky :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back