Smelly Sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new home (well new for us) it has one of those contemporary bathroom things that the women love. Any way the sink smells like crazy, it has one of those drainage pipes that is chrome and does not do into a U bend just some trendy \\\'T\\\' style joint. Looks nice but smells to high heaven. Has anyone any advice as to how to fix this (U bend etc - if so must be chrome the Mrs says and look \\\'Nice\\\'). Thanks

Sponsored Links
That t shape thingy will probably be a bottle trap and the bottom part should unscrew allowing you to empty and clean all the old waste out of it.
Lee

It's not because it's chrome, bottle traps in general require cleaning more regular than most traps.

Thanks for the replies, have cleaned it out, rinsed with bleach and it still smells to high heaven, could there be any other possibility ?

Sponsored Links
Has the basin got an overflow, that might have crud in it.

JonB

Have replaced the bottle trap with a P trap and it worked, only problem is the P trap is white plastic and we need chrome, anyone any ideas where these can be purchased from ?

Bottle traps aren't inherently smelly, the critical thing is the "seal" which is the effective depth of the trap, say 50 or 75mm.
If there's a fault in the design of the waste plumbing or maybe a blockage, the "seal" can be broken by waste acting like a piston in the pipe and pulling the water down. Then foul air can get back up the pipe and it niffs. The solution may be a small "air admittance valve", near the trap - possibly outside.

Is there a long pipe run?

ChrisR said:
Bottle traps aren't inherently smelly, the critical thing is the "seal" which is the effective depth of the trap, say 50 or 75mm.
If there's a fault in the design of the waste plumbing or maybe a blockage, the "seal" can be broken by waste acting like a piston in the pipe and pulling the water down. Then foul air can get back up the pipe and it niffs. The solution may be a small "air admittance valve", near the trap - possibly outside.

Is there a long pipe run?

Whenever i go out to a problem in the schools where i work, the stink is from a bottle trap, so i would say they are !!! ;)

Perhaps I'm unlucky, but whenever I go to my mother's house, I find the bottle-trapped basin and sink are draining slowly and need cleaning out, so I don't think they're much good either. No tea leaves or dripping down there.

Certainly the waterways are pretty narrow, and twistier, especially in those posh cylindrical ones.
But I can't see smelly....
surp_spock.gif

Expertboy said:
schools where i work, the stink is from a bottle trap, so i would say they are !!! ;)
Little buggers s weeing in the basins ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back