Bathroom Light Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys

Got a problem. I have managed to wire the the bathroom extractor fan, bathroom light and both the passage and back room lights as they are looped together.

However when I switch the mains on, the passage light and backroom light work correctly, however the bathroom light and extractor fan run continuously. When I pull the cord to switch the light and extractor fan on and off nothing happens...... Can you help please?!

Sponsored Links
you seem to have wired the feed for your bathroom light and fan in the loop connection, this will be a red or brown and needs connected to the switch live back from the pull switch. The common of the pull switch should be wired in the loop connection.

At the moment the extractor fan has the switched live (yellow) and the live (Red) fed in the Live connection of the ceiling rose.

I have four main cables coming out of the ceiling roof, one is for the extractor fan Blue which I have fed into the neutral section of the rose, red and yellow. The other three cables I am not 100% sure, but assuming that they power the passage, back room, and bathroom cord switch. Each of these three cables consists of neutral wires (black) and live wires (Red) All of the black cables are wired into the neutral section of the rose, the other red wires are connected to the live section of the rose and one of the wires is attached to the loop. (Not sure which wires it is. If I was to change of the Red Live wires into the loop the circuit doesn't like this and so short circuits.

This seems to satisfy working everything except for when I switch the corded wire in the bathroom which it doesn't do anything. It was wired previously so that the bathroom light and fan go on and off together when the cord wire is pulled.

Does this extra info help?

Ta

The three wires should be live nuetreal in, live neutral out, permanent live and switch live to pull switch. The switch live to the pull switch will be black or blue witch red or brown tape. This wires into the live of the light. The fan wire may well be red for permanent live(normally for timer), blue for neutral and yellow for switch live which will connect into your light with the switch live from the pull switch.

Sponsored Links
I don't mean to sound blonde but I'm not quite grasping what your saying, do you mind explaining it a bit more?

Thanks

Try leaving the fan wire out until you get the rest working. Connect all reds together. You should have three blacks left. One of these is from is incorperated in the wire from your pull switch. It may have red tape on it. This wires into the live of the light. The other two blacks are your neutral in and out. They connect into your light neutral terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back