BBC news interview cabbie instead of legal expert!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the real Guy Kewney who has been interviewed on the beeb a number of times before and was ment to be doing a live interview about the recent Apple (Steve Jobs) vs Apple (the beatles) high court case

Here is what the BBC broadcast thinking they where interviewing 'Guy Kewney an expert on music court cases'.

Is the guys face priceless or what on being introduced? :D

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
That's fantastic!!! It doesn't give any indication how the guy got there to end up doing it either, very strange indeed!

Thanks for that, I read about it in the paper this morning and I thought "I wish I could have seen that." Now I have! Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? I could hug my laptop sometimes.... in fact......

hermes said:
Thanks for that, I read about it in the paper this morning and I thought "I wish I could have seen that." Now I have! Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? I could hug my laptop sometimes.... in fact......
It's great, I've watched it 3 times now and the look on his face is pure bewilderment - just hilarious! I like the way the whole farce has been written up in the Guardian, too:
Just get the guy, any guy, and stick him in front of the camera is, some fear, the philosophy of rolling television news. For BBC News 24, however, the bloke in reception waiting patiently to pontificate on a courtroom verdict turned out to be the wrong Guy.

Guy Kewney, a computer expert, was waiting outside a BBC Television Centre studio to discuss the high court ruling on the Beatles' Apple Corps v Apple Computer on Monday morning. As he watched the news in reception, he was amazed to see "Guy Kewney" pop up on screen. Unlike the white, bearded technology columnist for IT Week, this "Guy Kewney" was black, and appeared stumped when asked about the US computer giant and its tussle with the Beatles over the Apple trademark.

"Were you surprised by this verdict?" he was asked. "I'm very surprised at the verdict," he gamely replied. "Because I was not expecting that when I came."

A BBC insider said the wrong Guy was a minicab driver, waiting to pick up the real Guy. When the producer went to collect the computer expert from a different waiting area, he called out "Guy Kewney" and the driver said "hello". He was then whisked upstairs to meet the BBC's Karen Bowerman, who asked the first question on live TV.

There is only one Guy Kewney in Britain on the electoral roll. As the real Mr Kewney explained in his blog, the accidental impostor at first seemed "puzzled that anybody might imagine that the lawsuit had consequences".

The BBC said: "Unfortunately we did make a mistake and the wrong guy was briefly interviewed on air before we cut to our reporter."

Sponsored Links
Well - the BBC insider (car-park attendant? cleaner? sandwich-delivery boy?) was wrong. The man who was interviewed was actually an IT expert who'd gone for a job interview, and ended up on camera.

And if you watch the video, you'll see that after his initial surprise, he settled down and did quite well.

Back