Decent pine internal doors

H

HiZ

Hi, im updating at 1959 semi and keen to get rid of the awful internal doors. Would like to replace them with nice stained ones. Just looked in BnQ and seen internal 4 panel pine doors for £20-30 but im sure they are rubbish. Shall i buy some from Jewsons or similar for £50-60, will they be much better? Seem to be a few places online selling only doors. Any good?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. Are 'clear' pine doors better, worth the money, worse etc etc?

Are screwfix doors any good?

Sheff said:
========================
see forum rule 20

Its hardly a hijack cos i started it....

Guess you lot don't like newies around here with 58 views and no replies.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo hiz and welcome :LOL: :LOL:

we do love newbies

its the nature off the question :cry: :cry: ;)

youll have to go to whever your getting your door select a door with the fewest knots select a door thats not bowed or twisted and hope for the best

in general they use poo wood [not seasoned]so not very stable
your likly to get better doors from your timber merchants or wood yards but you will of course pay more you can take them back
just acclimatise for at least a couple off weeks unwrapped and flat away from direct heat
and do not take a tool to the door till your happy

kevplumb said:
HiZ said:
Sheff said:
========================
see forum rule 20

Its hardly a hijack cos i started it....

Guess you lot don't like newies around here with 58 views and no replies.

with an attitude like that i'm suprised you got a reply at all :rolleyes:

we all have off days kev :D :D ;)

big-all said:
...in general they use poo wood [not seasoned] so not very stable....
You missed out the (in)famous banana pine or chopstick cedar, but I suppose that's poo as well :LOL:

HiZ

Seriously, though, if you think you're going to get a decent door for £30 anywhere you'll be sorely disappointed. The B&Qs of this world get these things made in huge quantities to a very low spec, undersize (in thickness) using knotty, coarse-grained, inadequately-seasoned wood that's only really fit for the fire. Then once they're installed they move (shrink and swell and frequently warp) all over the place for the next year or so until they settle down. I've installed them and they are universally cr*p compared to what was a "cheap" door in the 1930s or even the 1960s......

The labour costs in making a door mean that if I'm making a one off from scratch in a decent quality softwood there's well over £80 in labour in the job before I even get to the cost of the timber. We have one local firm that makes doors and windows from scratch using high-tech CNC machinery - their hardwood frame and panel doors start at around £150 with the softwood ones from around £90. That's for a firm who've invested six figures in new equipment and have cut their prices to stay competitive. So what I'm saying is that even a £50 softwood door is a cheap one. Caveat emptor therefore applies

If you wab=nt a decent door which lasts I suggest that you look up "Joinery Manufacturers" in the local Yellow Pages - they won't be cheap, but they should be better quality.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back