Myson (Thorn) Housewarmer 55 electronic gas fire/backboiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been asked to look at the above unit. At start up the backboiler goes through the ignition sequence and fires up. After 10/15 seconds it shuts down and again goes through the start up sequence (this repeats). I believe it may be the thermocouple ?. The problem is we do not have a manual for this unit to show how to remove the fire and allow access to the boiler after turning off the gas supply and disconnecting the gas connection from the fire. Can anyone help? The unit is approximately 7 years old and cannot find any technical manuals on it

Sponsored Links
dmars said:
. I believe it may be the thermocouple ?.

It doesn't have one.

The problem is we do not have a manual for this unit

Nope, the problem is that you don't know what you're doing.
Back boilers can be dangerous. Leave it alone and call someone qualified.

dmars, what is your normal job? (i am wondering why you have been asked to look at a boiler) i can come and look at it if you like, or post a picture on here then we can all LOOK at it

if any one wants to look at my boiler its here

Hi
this topics a year old but,
just been called to repair a housewarmer 55
same problems as above

from cold boiler fires up
between 30 seconds and 2 mins boiler shuts down
ignition sequence starts again
pilot lights
unit continues to spark
continues till lockout
after 5 mins in lockout sequence starts again with boiler firing then shutting down.

cleaned out the pilot injector
no joy
believed the fault to be the flame rectification on the spark electrode so replaced with new.
no joy
replaced the control PC box
no joy
rechecked all electrical connections and replaced solenoid on gas valve (pointless but dint know what else to do)
no joy

left the customer with a bill for the parts, dint charge the 5 hours labour as couldn't cure the fault. Told the customer to contact heat-team to arrange a engineer.

Sponsored Links
Has the customer had an elecrical work done?? Its not something silly like reversed polarity is it?

did think about this but didn't check as the boiler fires up for 2 mins max first time.
the customer is also a qualified electrician, but just 2 check phoned and asked if there was a chance of reverse polarity on the boiler, there isnt.

May be a silly question

Have you replaced the ignition lead also check the earth is in good condition. Have had a lead broken before that sparked but would not flame rectify, aslo some of the new housewarmer pcb have had faulty before according to the hrpc guy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back