a tool for aerating the lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a compacted and waterlogged lawn and most people say it needs aerating and then having some sand brushed into the holes. There are a number of different products for aerating lawns and I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything that would do the job. Looking on google there seem to be all sorts of tools ranging from rollers with spikes, to using a regular pitch fork, to shoes with spikes on (surely they can't work!) Any of these any good? If so which one to buy?

One website suggested that the best tool was something called a 'hollow tine aerator' which removes the soil in thin plugs which can then be disposed of. There are quite a few of these so can someone tell me if they really work, and if so recommend one that I can buy. They seem to vary in price, and while I want one that will work, I don't want to spend a fortune if they all do the same job.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
hire a petrol one out for the day. It will cost you about 40-50 and will do a much better job than anything you will be able to buy.

go with the ordainairy garden fork.

its cheaper and less hassle.

you stic it in, stand on it to make it go all the way in, wiggle it as you pull it out.

Thats what Mr T does

depends how big your lawn is! do it properly with a holoow tine aerator and you wont need to do it for a good few years

Anyway whats dennis thatcher doing in the garden anyway???

Sponsored Links
Anyway whats dennis thatcher doing in the garden anyway???

Pushing up the daisies. Lets hope his missus joins him soon.

Re - aeration with a machine/fork. These only make a hole by pushing the soil outwards and with heavy, waterlogged soil like mine; the soil slowly moves back inwards to fill the hole. In some areas I've tried the holes collapse back in on them after a short while.

Apparently the advantage with the hollow tine aerator is it actually removes a plug of soil, allowing sand to be brushed in and generally improving drainage. I'm thinking of going with this method, but there are a few to choose from and I was wondering if anyone had bought one that was any good. [/quote]

11077.jpg

"There's no need for that young man."

Seneca.

The way I have improved mine is with a special fork that has tubular prongs, (I think 5 or 6) that you stand on as with an ordinary fork, cost about £10-15. this takes a plug of soil out at a time which as you say should be filled with sand, it is a long and tiresome job but well worth it in the end, line the lawn out and cover as much or little as you like, if its all in one place perhaps you could attack that area first!

I have had little or no moss for the past three years.

If you have a sizeable lawn, it would well be worth hiring one for the day (weekend) as it takes a good bit of effort.

My lawn is approx 5 x 10 paces.

sonny88

when you pull the aerator out, how do the cylinders of soil come out? You don't have to push then out individually do you. that would take a while. also, how tiring is the whole process? there does seem to be a lot of hollow tine aerators to buy from the net. whats yours made from. I imagine a metal one would be robust enough to manage lots of holes. A plastic one would probably break.

Seneca.

the plugs of soil just push up through the tines, as you do the next one the plugs keep pushing through continually, there are five tines on mine which is plenty to handle, if you do a bit at a time it gets done eventually!
Mine is made of steel, its just like a ordinary fork, but with hollow tines, cost efective, its the best, but does require some effort that's true, fill each hole with sharp sand, keep it very dry so its powdery and it will pour into each hole effortlessly. I laid the sand out on trays in the greenhouse to dry, if its at all damp, as it is when you buy it, you will not be able to fill each hole correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back