New Mira electric shower - need WATER SOFTENER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MIRA "ADVANCE ATL" Electric Shower:

Newly installed today. On reading the Mira manual I see that my shower is not guaranteed against limescale damage, and as I have very hard water I feel I should put in some kind of water softener.

I cannot possibly afford a £££ one, but can anyone advise me about Scale Wizard, AquaMate, etc? And then there's one that's just magnets so no electrical connection required, which I've seen on eBay - that's really tempting.

Whatever I use, I may have to hack out a wall to access the piping, possibly with my bare fingernails - I've already been subjected to botching plumbers (chosen by the Council who gave me an improvement grant - it's awful having no control :cry: ).

clemenzina

Sponsored Links
Be aware that the devices that you are looking at are only water conditioners and not real softeners. The ones that do work to a degree are the permanent magnet and the polyphosphate type but the latter require a replacement cartridge every year or so and thus have an ongoing cost.

My recomendation is a permanent magnet type fitted closely before the shower. Be aware that they may not be totally effective as only an ion exchanger softener removes hardness.

What is actually much more important is how you use the shower. Lime scale is only deposited above 65°C so if you use your shower carefully you will not be depositing limescale. Start it with maximum flow and reduce it to bring it up to temperature NOT the other way round!

Tony

Thanks so much, Tony, I was just composing a suicide note after reading that linked thread (the shower being the last straw, you understand ;)), your info is so interesting and useful.

My shower is supposed to have been set with a 43 degree temperature block. The contractors are back on Tuesday, I'll check.

Does a showerhead get scaled up because of water sitting inside and on it permanently? And that doesn't happen inside the shower itself?

In any case, you've taken a great weight off my mind!

clemenzina

Sponsored Links
The shower head gets scale because of water drying on it after use. This is not a problem and is easily cleaned.

The problem is when the heating element gets scaled up! It causes poor heat transfer and that can cause the element to burn out!

Tony

So, water doesn't dry on the element, so I'm OK. Thank you very much indeed {{{Tony}}}

clemenzina

clemenzina said:
The contractors are back on Tuesday, I'll check.
Needless to say, the contractors didn't come back yesterday. I wrote to Mira again and received this reply (extract):

Limescale is formed by calcium carbonate particles in the water supply crystallising as the temperature of warm water cools, so unless you have a penchant for cold showers (!) then limescale will be a factor that needs combatting.

They go on to highlight the benefits to other appliances of fitting a whole-house water softener and say that my plumber should be able to advise (huh!).

It's been suggested to me by A.N. Other that I accept the current situation and simply replace the shower, hopefully later rather than sooner.

clemenzina

A real water softener (a plastic box with pipes and a container inside that you put salt granules into) will cost you some hundreds of pounds, which is probably more than a replacement shower will cost every few years.

I think they're great (I live in a very hard water area) and would not be without mine. See if you know anyone who's got one. They will give you softer towels, skin and shiny hair, if you like that sort of thing, and you will not get lime scale round the taps and sink.

Unfortunately it is totally out of the question - I thought I'd never say this but... "I am a pensioner, on a very low income". I've only got the new bathroom thru a council grant/loan combo.

clemenzina :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back