System flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don\\\'t live in a hard water area and have never used a corrosion inhibitor or flush treatment. Question is: is it safe to flush the system, am I likely to get any leaks and/or other problems as a result ? I am inclined simply to fill my system back up with plain water (I have a header tank style system) :)

Sponsored Links
do you mean powerflush?..if so depends on the age and condition. No one offers any guarantees that there wont be leaks but there aren't usually. You won't get any limescale problems in a soft water area but if you have never put a corrosion inhibitor in your system you will get a magnetite sludge build up sooner rather than later, it is where the oxygen in fresh water rusts away your rads from the inside

Thanks for reply, your advice was appreciated.

I was thinking more of using one of these chemical treatments which you put into the system and leave for a few days before draining and flushing - I must admit I don't know how to flush the system or power flush. I would be a bit wary of overflowing the header tank in the loft and causing a flood. I'm only considering this at the moment because I am replacing a radiator and will have to drain the system down to do it. I don't have any particular problems at the moment other than a few creaking pipes.

you said you are replacing a radiator and have to drain the system, why cant you turn both valves off change and bleed rad, no need to drain system

Sponsored Links
:oops: Yes, sorry - its a bit more complicated. I removed a radiator a while ago and sealed off pipes and now I'm plumbing in a replacement in a slightly different position so new pipe work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back