Any one used the BRICKY TOOL?

Sponsored Links
carryoncamping said:
Is Marshall Tools Bricky any good or should it be confined to the Ronco Buttoneer hall of fame?

http://www.brickytool.com/html/how.htm
http://www.drywall-emporium.com/Bricky_video.wmv

One problem I see is that it assumes all your bricks are uniform in size, and what about if your foundations aren't exactly level (I guess they should be though!)

I bought and used bricky. An excellant invention. I never built a wall in my life. I am pleased with it. The first coarse has to be laid free hand and checked for level horizonatally and vertically bricky then comes into play. Joints can be made uniform with bricky accessory. The walls are plumb, level and joints are uniform. Don't depend on bricky you have got to know what you are doing. Common sense is the order.

You rightly point out the importance of foundations being right.

Basecoat said:
I bought and used bricky. An excellant invention. I never built a wall in my life. I am pleased with it. The first coarse has to be laid free hand and checked for level horizonatally and vertically bricky then comes into play. Joints can be made uniform with bricky accessory. The walls are plumb, level and joints are uniform. Don't depend on bricky you have got to know what you are doing. Common sense is the order.

You rightly point out the importance of foundations being right.

Basecoat, Any good for bricking up a window? I mention this tool in my recent thread.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53581

The only problem I can see is there appears to be quite an overhand either side. Would that be a problem?

How wide is the tool? My windows are 1700mm

Cheers.

noseall said:
only good for gathering dust. ;)

Noseall, I think the point is, one good job out of it and it has paid for itself. Collecting dust after that is no problem.

Sponsored Links
Bricks are not lego, in a wall, vertical gauge and ensuring bond constantly has to be adjusted. Bricks can vary as much as 10mm in size. Also the "brickie" from what I can see is only good for leaving a "raked out" joint from the tool grabbing the arrises of the brick. Therefore means a "substantial" amount of re-pointing if you want to have half round joints. One thing is for sure, the "brickie" doesn't help you learn to lay bricks, but it will certainly teach you to joint!

I can't believe it'd make it any quicker. Plus, surely you don't really settle the bricks onto/into the mortar as you do if you press a brick down into a conventional bed. Not sure how good a bond you'd get :?:

Why not make a mock-up with a piece of ply with a hole cut out the middle?

If it works well then buy the proper jobbie.

joe

The bricky measures 1100mm (length) and 230mm (width). Overhangs is not a problem you simply remove bracket/clips enabling bricky to be used in awkward and extended places.

Bricky is useful certainly helped me speedily lay blocks and bricks. If it gathers dust I don't mind. It has served its purpose well.

is it just tawelfryn and me that are brickies here?

there are so many variables in bricklaying that a novice, using one of these tools, wont have experienced.

wet engineering bricks.
laying on a cold and damp day.
varying brick sizes, particularly with re-claims.
etc
etc.
bricklaying is a skilled job that produces a finished product.
this tool, in ideal conditions, has its uses in certain situations.
it is by no means a miracle cure for novices. i could see a lot of people getting into a pickle using one of these.

Monsoon said:
I dont think anyone is suggesting you will be become a skilled, expert bricklayer off the back of using the bricky tool.

Obviously, you will need the Bricklaying DVD to reach that level competency :D
http://www.ableskills-dvd.co.uk/bricklaying-dvd.htm[/QUOTE]

Bricky doesn't make you "skilled" brickie. It assists you in laying blocks/bricks and starts a process of confidendence building in you to go on. I am maintenace fitter by trade a different cattle altogether but there are certain aspects of my trade which tie in with the building trade.

The DVD that came with it is very good. Noel Marshall (CEO) shows you everything you need to know. The experiance comes with hands on. I have seen couple of walls built in neighbourhood by pro brickies. In a word they are "hopeless". How the brickies have got away I don't know. One reason could be the owner didn't know a thing about walls.

I recommend bricky for anyone starting to build walls. Once the bricky has served its purpose it can gather all the dust there is.

Basecoat, I'm sold on the product. I'll certainly give it a go. It doesnt claim to be anything more than a guide and a template for stacking mortar/bricks and by the looks of it, it achieves that well.

Basecoat said:
I have seen couple of walls built in neighbourhood by pro brickies. In a word they are "hopeless". How the brickies have got away I don't know. One reason could be the owner didn't know a thing about walls.

The walls you seen built by "pro" brickies, if they are that bad, then they obviously were not "pro",
The trouble is, I have seen numerous brickies turn up on site, SAYING they are brickies, and believe me, they are normally gone by 10am break time. I have seen too many turning up with new trowels and levels etc, you know,,,, you just know. unfortunately these sometimes go on and build garden walls for "old Mrs Jones" down the road. Builders alike, if their not brickies, their walls are just as bad. A wall built by an experienced brickie and a chancer is like chalk and cheese.
Going back to the "bricky" I cant see it helping a professional brickie, (I laugh at the website, theres a brickie saying he earned 100,000 euro using it, his output went from 350 to 650 bricks a day! lol, come on, that should be the measure without trying)
But if it helps DIY ers then thats what its about, only good for bbq's etc, so if it feels good then do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back