Any one used the BRICKY TOOL?

tawelfryn said:
Basecoat said:
I have seen couple of walls built in neighbourhood by pro brickies. In a word they are "hopeless". How the brickies have got away I don't know. One reason could be the owner didn't know a thing about walls.

The walls you seen built by "pro" brickies, if they are that bad, then they obviously were not "pro",
The trouble is, I have seen numerous brickies turn up on site, SAYING they are brickies, and believe me, they are normally gone by 10am break time. I have seen too many turning up with new trowels and levels etc, you know,,,, you just know. unfortunately these sometimes go on and build garden walls for "old Mrs Jones" down the road. Builders alike, if their not brickies, their walls are just as bad. A wall built by an experienced brickie and a chancer is like chalk and cheese.
Going back to the "bricky" I cant see it helping a professional brickie, (I laugh at the website, theres a brickie saying he earned 100,000 euro using it, his output went from 350 to 650 bricks a day! lol, come on, that should be the measure without trying)
But if it helps DIY ers then thats what its about, only good for bbq's etc, so if it feels good then do it.

In vid it says 300 bricks per hour! That sounds pretty quick to me.

As they also say in the vid 'It's only matter of time and every mason in the world will be using one'

So come on tawelfryn .... me , u and noseall get our order in and we'll negotiate a better price for 3 :LOL:

Sponsored Links
practice practice and more practice. In time youll do a better job then you ever could with the brickie. I have to agree with noseall and tawelfryn, but i can see its appeal as a diy novice type thing to build a one off wall for a garden planter etc.

Sponsored Links
Monsoon said:
Basecoat, I'm sold on the product. I'll certainly give it a go. It doesnt claim to be anything more than a guide and a template for stacking mortar/bricks and by the looks of it, it achieves that well.

As discussed before bricky is not going to make you "pro" but will help you build walls to a relatively good standard. Indeed its a template. You will be surprised how quickly you will be able to stack bricks as you put it. You can only achieve this by building wall step by step as it says in the instructions.

I would trial build with weak mix mortar just to get hang of things. Once you build a small wall say 4 feet long and 3 feet high you will get the knack. Did you get a DVD with your bricky.

Bricky is not a "pro" tool therefore skilled brickies won't think much of it.

Thermo said:
practice practice and more practice. In time youll do a better job then you ever could with the brickie. I have to agree with noseall and tawelfryn, but i can see its appeal as a diy novice type thing to build a one off wall for a garden planter etc.

Try bricky. You will become a "professor" in brick laying. Honest.

Basecoat said:
I would trial build with weak mix mortar just to get hang of things. Once you build a small wall say 4 feet long and 3 feet high you will get the knack. Did you get a DVD with your bricky.

Havent parted with the cash yet but budgeted for it when I need to start filling the window openings.

So come on basecoat - any pixs of your handy work?

i've just this second used my bricky tool........

and i even flushed the toilet afterwards!

noseall said:
i've just this second used my bricky tool........

and i even flushed the toilet afterwards!

Did you make sure it flushed properly. It could come back to excite you.

Monsoon said:
Basecoat said:

Havent parted with the cash yet but budgeted for it when I need to start filling the window openings.

So come on basecoat - any pixs of your handy work?

My other half gone to see her mom and relations in US. Taken camera with her. When she comes back I will post pics.

I have a brickie tool in the shed, I did a year on the old YTS schemes doing building and learned a bit. Anyway i liked the idea of the brickie so purchased one.

What i didnt like is the way you spread the mortar bed on the tool, When you go to place the brick on, the mortar bed is flat and compact, the brick cant be tapped down at all and I didnt think it would take with the little taps i gave it but it worked fine. The bed dries out quick (in warmer weather so you have to be quick). The thing is there is no waste with this tool, No mortar dropping down the cavity. It is quick to use but only for basic bonds. It is well worth a purchase for the price.

Always Learning said:
I have a brickie tool in the shed, I did a year on the old YTS schemes doing building and learned a bit. Anyway i liked the idea of the brickie so purchased one.

What i didnt like is the way you spread the mortar bed on the tool, When you go to place the brick on, the mortar bed is flat and compact, the brick cant be tapped down at all and I didnt think it would take with the little taps i gave it but it worked fine. The bed dries out quick (in warmer weather so you have to be quick). The thing is there is no waste with this tool, No mortar dropping down the cavity. It is quick to use but only for basic bonds. It is well worth a purchase for the price.

To quote from the bricky tool website

A 900mm long template to receive a 12mm thick layer of mortar. This thickness was specifically calculated to cater for 2mm natural compaction and ensure that the standard 10mm (3/8") joint is achieved and securely bonded.

So it seems they have taken this into account.

Good to hear it worked well.

Always Learning said:

Noel Marshall (CEO) does emphasize to wet bricks before laying them. I preassume this also applies for blocks. I guess you can tap bricks to give them a firmer bonding. The rest is exact same as you have described.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back