how to clean grout in bathroom tiles,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, it's julie, now onto the next project, i'm about to fit a new suite, well not me, my partner , althought never done one before, so that's going to be fun. never used the hot water tap on the sink for approx 5 years, yes honestly have to fill with a jug from the bath. the tap on the sink stopped working, would not let any water come out, of course, partner, john, said all heating/water would have to be turned off, other words too much hassle /grief, so it got left. anyway i'm about to get new suite soon, yes the old ones ancient, SO YES HOT WATER FroM THE SINK, IT WILL BE HEAVEN. i wanted to place new pvc clading on the walls, again too much hassle, yes he's a mechanic, nothing else. over the years i know how to plaster walls, bricklay, paint, just as i well i enjoy doing jobs like this, i was told just clean the tiles/grout. i will have the job of this, as i dont mind getting hands dirty, do i have to remove all grout ? or is there some special cleaner. any help.

Sponsored Links
See this.
There are available from most good diy superstore's and depends how bad it is,you can get a grout tools remover to rake out the joints then re-grout with fresh product.
See this.

If the staining is not too bad, thick bleach (the really thick stuff) left on can help quite a lot. Do a test spot in case it does anything it shouldn't, but I've used in this in past on my bathroom tiles and it's brought them up a treat.
Also the DIY shops do a tube which 'paints' over the grouting, it's like a tube of toothpaste. Works well but not terribly long lasting.

Sponsored Links
I find that a spray bottle of Mildew Remover gets rid of staining on grout. It seems to comprise mainly bleach, and it works a treat for me. Spray it on and leave it for an hour. Then rinse it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back