Bathroom extractor wiring again!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I decided to replace my old extractor fan with a flush mounted one, problem is - the old one had its own feed & its own integral switch(yes it WAS that old).
Should I use the original L & N (this has an isolator switch in the loft & feed from fuse box) as permanent L & permanent N. Then take the switched live from the existing bathroom pull cord switch?

Would this work? The new fan is from b&q, has an internal light & timer.

Sorry for long post & any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you're going back to the light switch, there is a lot to be said for rewiring with new. Not only will the cable not be old and perished, it will be obvious to anyone working on it or replacing the fan in future how it works. Someone might incorrectly think they could isolate it at the switch.

You've lost me on that one!

The wiring is good, not long had it checked(last 2 years) reason I say that the fan was old is because it had its own pull switch over the bath.

Hope this is clearer.
(Just read your post properly & see what you mean :eek: )

Initially I was thinking of using the bathroom light pull switch & the light itself but I don't think it would be feasible.

Anyone any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
poacher72 said:
The new fan is from b&q, has an internal light & timer.

Internal light? That is intended for ceiling mounting, yes? With the feed to the light from the pullcord for the bathroom?

Yes, what you say will work, but you need to install a triple pole iso to safely switch off the fan supply.

Should have added that the ight is powered off the fan via a transformer (12V light).

All feed would be going to the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back