Zanussi / Indesit W143 s noisy b**ger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Washing machine playing up. I thought it was a Zanussi but looking on t'internet it seems it might be an Indesit, definitely W143-s though...

The machines making a lot of noise towards the end of the cycle, when the drum speeds up (even when run empty). I've ran the drum by hand and runs free (not bearings), I've checked the pump filter and it's clean. Next job is to check whether there is anything between the drum and the casing but can I do this fairly easily? I don't want to take the drum out if possible... any access by taking the drain pump out? I'm gonna give it a go this evening unless anyone's got any bright ideas.

Thanks in advance

Pedro

Sponsored Links
You can get between the drums by removing the sump hose (tub > pump) or by removing the element.

Bearings are common faults in this machine, but as you say it could also be somethig stuck there (prob a bra wire)

Just because the drum turns doesn't mean the bearings are OK, and if you had something stuck in the drum this would be noisy all the time not just on the spin, unless you have play in the shaft, which would mean the bearings are going. How to check for play in a shaft....... put you hand on the from of the drum to dead centre and lift vertically and feel for any movement if you have vertical movement you need bearings and shaft if you don't you probably just need bearings and i did say probably Either way unless you extremely competent and confident that you can recognise the wear and be able to replace the drum call an engineer it will save you a lot of grief from the missus.

Thanks Mr &Repairs.

Came to this conclusion last night when I found the drum did indeed have some vertical movement of between 1/4 and 3/8 of an inch... I'm afraid it's open wallet surgery time.

Cheers for the speedy help!

Sponsored Links
Just a thought, this sounds like the drum spider has lost a leg. and won't cause too much noise until spinning. Spider and bearing are usually changed together. This did apply to an indesit machine I had in the past. Caused by too much corrosive powder residue. Not sure about modern machines i suspect a new machine is in order.

3 years later poss has a new mc by now :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back