Cold Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have an Ariston MicroGenus 24 HE Condensing Combi Boiler just installed a month a ago. Everything has been working fine until a week ago. I have 6 radiators in the house and I just can\\\'t figure out why my radiators aren’t heating up now.

I’ve checked the boiler, the pressure bar is just over 1.5, and the timer is set to off so the heating should be constant. The problem is that every time I reset the boiler the heating comes back on for all radiators but after 5 minutes they all cool down again. I have to go and reset the boiler again to get some heating in the house, but as I said, the heating only lasts for 5 minutes.

Can anyone suggest a course of action to solve the problem?

Thanks in adavnce :)

Sponsored Links
Thermostatic rad valves set to max. but rads can`t get any hotter because of the 25 degrees it`s outside in Midsummer :?: :eek:Try taking a thermo. head off and see if rad then heats :idea: they`re usually on finger tight and won`t involve water coming out

Yeah

I have a thermostat which is set to switching the heating on and off. When i turn it up over 25 degrees that's when the heating would normally switch on. But now, after reseting the boiler the heating is on for 5 minutes.

Before the problem the heating would be on full blast constantly so I just used the thermostast to turn the heating off.

House is cold, what should i do? :(

Cheers..

Get the installers back............! You shouldn't be sorting this problem yourself after just one month....!!!!

If on the other hand you payed cash for a dodgy install with no Benchmark and without contacting Builing Control, you may have a costly problem on your hands.

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Sponsored Links
I want to know what the problem may be and whether I can do something about it myself before I call the installers in.

The hot water is fine, I just find it strange how the radiators stop heating up after 5 min :eek:

??

Nige F already explained that if you have Thermostatic Radiator Valves (which are not the same as your room thermostat) that are set to maximum, the actual temperature and the temperature being called for from the boiler by the thermostatic radiator valves may well be the same and therefore the boiler would think that its job is done and switch itself off after 5 minutes.....!

The Thermostatic Radiator Valves are found on either side of the radiators and are usually a turnable top that is numbered 0-6.

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

As stated, before the problem occured the radiators were blasting out heat constantly for days on end. I could switch the heating on and off via the the thermostat without any problems. As the summer has arrived I used the thermostat to switch the heating off for a couple of weeks, (the boiler is in the attic)

The temprature valves on the radiators are set to full. Nobody has touched the temp valves on any of the radiators. The temp control on the boiler is obviously set to full and the thermostat is purely used to switch the heating on and off.

Everything is as it was before, the obvious difference now is that I can't use the thermostat to switch the heating back on and when I reset the boiler, the radiators get hot and after a few minutes they go cold again.

I don't understand how this change has come about and whether I can do something about it myself before calling in the cavalry?? :confused:

Nige F said:
Thermostatic rad valves set to max. but rads can`t get any hotter because of the 25 degrees it`s outside in Midsummer :?: :eek:Try taking a thermo. head off and see if rad then heats :idea: they`re usually on finger tight and won`t involve water coming out

Tried taking the thermo head off.. Rads still cold. Just reset the boiler now everything is fine, the heaters are very hot at the moment but i know the heating will go off in a few minutes.

What's going on? :confused:

Have you got any dripping hot taps and the comfort (pre-heat) function switched on?

Perhaps the boiler would give priority to pre-heat and with the anticycle time the heating may not get a chance to come back on.

I don't know how intelligent (or dumb) this boiler is. :)

I had the comfort option switched on but i don't know how that should make a difference because the heating was fine before when the comfort option was on.

I've changed it to economy mode now but i'm still getting the same problem. Reset boiler - heat comes on - heat goes off after a few minutes??

:confused:

I just can\\\'t figure out
You seem to be excluding the possibility that it might have GONE WRONG!

You could call the installer but as it doesn't sound like it's his fault, call on the gaurantee. Tell them the installer's on holiday if they niggle.

Problem fixed.

There was a loose connection in the wiring between the boiler and the thermostat in the living room.

Thanks for everyones input :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back