Self building sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody know of any sites or books that can advise on making your own victorian sash windows?

Sponsored Links
They'd be Elizabethan rather than Victorian since Victoria died over a century ago. But to replicate them you need a Victorian book such as Paul N Hasluck, Carpentry and Joinery. Buy a copy Here

Briliant, cheers

I've got every window Victorian sash but one (a front one too) has been replaced with a upvc unit, silly bloody previous owners

OK, my father in law is proposing to build this new window. I've tried a load of supposed sash window manufacturers who simply won't build me one for a sensible price (been quoted £2k-£3k for a 3' by 4' window)

Where do we stand in terms of FENSA if we build it ourselves? I spoke to one company who said the INSTALLER needed to be FENSA certified, but the build needn't be.

Is that right?

Sponsored Links
You can get descriptions of sash window construction and drawings in various old building construction text books such as McKay, but detailed design varies enormously because it's a craft trade after all. Some eaxmplae of how it's done can be found here (no connections, just know of this chap's work).

The principles of design and construction are also well covered by British City & Guilds (trade training) recommended text books such as Brian Porter's "Carpentry and Joinery 3" (Butterworth-Heinemann ISBN0-340-54551-8 ) which also includes references to the current Building Regs in the UK (isn't Hasluck's book is American so won't have this?).

As to the FENSA certs., a FENSA installer is like a NICEIC electrician - he can certify his own work - do it yourself and you'll need to get the Building Inspector from the local council to come out and inspect and certify for you, which may also mean presenting a set of scale drawings (but as you'll need to do them anyway it shouldn't be too much of a fag). That really means get as much done in one visit as you can!

Scrit

No it's not right. Anyone can make and install a window. But. You do have to comply with the Buildings Regulastions, particularly regarding insulation (Part-L) and emergency escape and safety glass in some cases. You should tell your Local Authority's Buildings Control Officer. He will come and look at your window and, after it is fitted and after you have paid £50 + VAT, will issue the compliance certificate.

FENSA is just the organization that the big window installers use to self certify so that they don't have to trouble the BCO and fork out £50 for every job.

Your father in law, when he's made yours, may realise that there's an honest living to be made in making decent timber windows, even if he only charges £1k for a window that size.

Thank you very much for the replies, very helpful, clarified the situation beautifully.

Hi Trotter.

I know this topic has been a long time dead, but I was wondering if your father-in-law had had any success in making and fitting the windows?

I'm pondering over making my own timber framed windows (not sashes) and would be grateful for any pointers/pitfalls he/you may have encountered.

Cheers. :D
WC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back