socket boxes depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plasterer says the socket and switch boxes on first fix are too deep (25mm) for cement plaster (12.5mm). I tried chiselling 12.5 cavities but found the concrete blocks are hollow so the chisel goes straight through. Any solution to have flush sockets would be very welcome

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I can't say I'm familiar with concrete blocks with a wall thickness of around 12.5mm. Either be a little more careful with your hammer and chisel, or if you have to bash right through then cut the holes as close to the box size as you can and just no-nail the boxes into place, with the right offset of course. Err slightly under then over with the offset, a little more room is always welcome.

Rgds.

Cut the boxes with an angle grinder you should find it possible to do less damage and hopefully not penetrate your blocks. Very very dusty though.

How deep before you hit fresh air?

Perhaps you have multi-wall blocks? I have these, they are dense concrete, have an outer shell and a webbed internal wall dividing the block into several sections. If I go through the outer wall I pack the hole with sand and cement leaving a hole a bit bigger than the back box, then when it's set, I mortar in the box. They tend to crack if you try to chisel them so I drill the lattice of holes and joing then up with a bolster.

I would have thought this approach would also work if they are just hollow.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies, the angle grinder works with patience but doesn't it make one helluva mess. Thanks again, all replies have been helpful.

Last time I used an angle grinder on my blocks, it made so much dust that I couldn't see the pencil line, and cut down the seam in the wallpaper which I mistook for my line :oops: I have decided not to use it indoors again :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back