Light Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to fit a new light in a bedroom,it has 3 red,3 black and 3 earth wires,the 3 red are a loop as far as i can see,2 of the black are neutral and 1 black is live.
I fitted the new light, went to switch it on and it went bang blowing a main fuse.
Re-wired the light again using connectors,this time no bang but the light stays on all the time even when the switch is off,can you please help..thanks.

Sponsored Links
Where have you got the light connected across ? It should be between the single black wire (switched live), and the two black wires (neutral).

Alternatively, if you originally connected the switch up incorrectly between permanent live and neutral, you may have b*ggered it.

EDIT: I'm assuming the wires you describe above are at the ceiling rose with no light present.

yes the wires are at the ceiling rose.

I have fitted the brown wire of the light fitting to the single black [live] and the blue to the 2 black [neutral] and the 3 red wires all together in a connector..

erm,the only thing is i put a new switch on aswell,do you think it could be that as the light fitting wires look right..

Sponsored Links
The wiring sounds right. Do you have a multimeter to help chase down the problem ?

just phoned my wife to get one as she works in a DIY store,will check the wiring then let you know....thanks for all your help most appreciated. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back