stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have taken down a wall to open up the stairs and I am left with just the steps how do I go on from here to fit base rail hand rail and spindles Thanks

Sponsored Links
Richard Burbridge do a bracket specifically for DIY use. See here

I assume you did get building regulations consent for this work? Is so the BCO will probably give you a bit of advice for nothing.

If not there is every chance that you will have to put the wall back or face problems if you ever want to sell you home.

Removing walls, particular opening up stairs, can have a seriously detrmental effect on fire spread and means of escape.

If the wall is just a stud partition and not a brick supporting wall then you should be ok without regs but if it is masonry then like GwaiLo said, you could have a problem if you come to sell your property later. you should be ok on the fire regs unless your house is three stories high of if there was a fire door which was separating the ground floor from the first floor. A good tip for fitting spindles is to put the amount you need in and measure the distance left, then divide this by how many spaces you have (1 space more that the amount of spindles) and this will give you the correct length for the spacers but make sure that you cannot pass a 90mm sphere between the spaces in the spindles because of regs again. ( it says 100mm but i've recently heard that it has been reduced to 90 just to be on the safe side)
One last note, it is always advisable to check with the local authorities about any building work to prevent any suprises later on down the line and for piece of mind.

Sponsored Links
Please bare in mind that stud walls can also be support walls and Fire Breaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back