Internal Soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment i have an internal soil pipe which looks like its made out of Asbestos (or some material like that, house built in 1960's) and i wish to remove it. That i can do myself unless theres a problem with it being Asbestos! Question is what is the best way to block the soil pipe off as it comes in through the kitchen floor. I guess cut it level with the floor and cap it??? Reason why I'm doing this is because a have a new soil stack outside which serves the downstairs toilet which I'm going to get rid off as its not ideal but i wish to use that stack as my new soil pipe so when i renew the toilet and bath etc i can plumb that into that. Any problems you can see of?

Sponsored Links
Asbestos cement was not normally used as a soil pipe.

It has a very low danger to anyone removing it but take the correct precautions regardless.

There is no official way I know of the block a soil pipe.

The method I use is to fit a drain testing bung as this gives an airtight seal and then either leave it as it is if appropriate or fill with cement.

Not any approved solution but heighly effective!

Tony

Agile said:
Asbestos cement was not normally used as a soil pipe.

It has a very low danger to anyone removing it but take the correct precautions regardless.

Tony
Maybe not in The Smoke ....but loads on council estates from the 50`s here in stix ;)

Ok. Well after a posted on here i spoke to my m8 who lives in the same kind of house as me and he said the soil pipe is asbestos. When he moved in to his house he took his out. He works in the building trade and said just to wear gloves, disposible overalls and a suitable mask and while taking the pipe out keep it damp with towel or spray. Once taken away double bag it in strong plastic bags.

That sound ok?

Sponsored Links
It will be asbestos cement, not pure asbestos. It is only dangerous when you create dust. Where dust is likely to be generated (sawing, drilling) use a water spray to damp down any dust. Have a good vacuum of the area of work immediately afterwards too.

As for disposal, in theory it should be treated as hazardous waste (£££?) but it has been known for certain people to double wrap in plastic bags and dispose of in household waste. :eek:

Ok so would there be any problems using the other soil pipe i have considering it would run up the side of my house instead of just being a small stump where at the moment its just connected to a downstairt toilet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back