ceiling rose problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing the light in my bathroom and have hit a problem. (I am a complete novice when it comes to electrics). There is currently a ceiling rose and I am replacing it with a flush light with metal box. I need a sinlge Live Neutral and Earth to go into the light fitting but when I looked at the wires in the ceiling rose there are 4 of everything!!! I have figured out the switch wire (the black with red shielding) but have no idea what to do with the rest of the wires. Any help would be appreciated (with a diagram if possible!)
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Reds all go together with themselves and nothing else.
Black with red sleeving on goes to live on the fitting.
All other blacks go to neutral on the fitting.
All earths go to earth on the fitting.

Hope this helps :)

Adam_151 said:
Reds all go together with themselves and nothing else.
Black with red sleeving on goes to live on the fitting.
All other blacks go to neutral on the fitting.
All earths go to earth on the fitting.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks. I found something in the 'For Reference' section that said the same thing - so I guess this is what I need to do.

You have four of everything? Is there a bathroom fan controlled by the light switch? If yes, that will make a difference.

If you can get a fine permanent marker and number the cables before you start, that can be helpful if you get in a muddle. If you can mark the sheaths you do not need to mark the cores.

You will usually find that you have grey or white cable sheaths, each containing a red, a black, and a bare copper core which has green-and-yellow sheathing pushed over it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back