Anyone had real life experience of Gledhill Torrent Direct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm debating whether to go for something like the Gledhill Torrent Direct thermal store such as

http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/torrent_direct.htm

or whether to go for an unvented system.

My current situation is as follows. At present I have a tiny header tank above my upstairs bathroom door and my emersion tank is halfway up the wall in my downstairs kitchen (mad I know). It's a 3 bed 1930's all electric terrace.

I want to put in a new emersion tank upstairs (perfect cupboard on the landing already there) and also install a shower alongside the bath. By the time I've got the woodwork done in the attic to support and raise up a water tank, brought and installed the tank, installed a shower pump etc, I might as well go for a mains pressure system.

Cost is an issue, especially running costs. I have economy 7 and at present I have the emersion on for around 1.5 hrs per night and there's enough hot water to last the day (unless someone wants a bath in the evening, then it has to be put on again)

Very very competant with DIY and loathe to have to either pay to get someone out to check my work (or pay to get someone to do a job as I'm not qualified), have seen some pretty shoddy work carried out by so called qualified and registered people, and want to do it myself.

Which brings me onto the Gledhill Torrent system. Acording to their site, it must be installed by a competant person, which I am, (Megaflows site says legally theirs must be installed by an installer that's completed a recognised course).

Looking at how the Torrent works, the biggest question I have is would I still get hot water out of it in the afternoon by just having the emersion on for 1.5 hrs overnight? And how does this compare with something something like the megaflow.

As for the yearly maintainence required on something like the megaflow, what does this involve? what do they actually check? If it's a stupid price I woud be better off buying the equipment needed to check it myself (as long as it's safe, I'm happy going that route). Also could I install it myself then get someone in to comission it.

I need to place an order at the end of this week, so any constructive comments greatfully appreciated. Also what other systems based on the Torrent are there? I could find loads on different makes of unvented systems but only came across the Gledhill for thermal store.

For the 150Ltr Torrent I'm looking at around £700 inc but I can legally do the whole install myself

Sorry for the essay

Best

Phil

Sponsored Links
Hi Phil
To install a non vented hot water storage unit you have to be certified (or have a ticket)
This would apply to the Megaflow unit so would rule you out installing it.
I do not believe the system you mention is non vented however as it has feed and espansion tank.
You also have to inform your local council of the installation which of course means it must be installed by a certified person.
The reason being if it is not installed correctly it can be like a ticking bomb and literally explode.
The annual checks relate to to safe working of the safety control systems which there are several and of course sorry to harp on but you must be certified.
The Megaflo as it is a sealed system would heat up quicker and so be more fuel effecient.

Pete

Try oso cylinders they do an all electric version that should suit. Again they are unvented so you need G3.
Lee

Sponsored Links
Fluffster said:
Hi Phil
To install a non vented hot water storage unit you have to be certified (or have a ticket)
This would apply to the Megaflow unit so would rule you out installing it.
I do not believe the system you mention is non vented however as it has feed and espansion tank.
You also have to inform your local council of the installation which of course means it must be installed by a certified person.
The reason being if it is not installed correctly it can be like a ticking bomb and literally explode.
The annual checks relate to to safe working of the safety control systems which there are several and of course sorry to harp on but you must be certified.
The Megaflo as it is a sealed system would heat up quicker and so be more fuel effecient.

Pete

Nice one Pete :eek:

The Gledhill Torrent is a store and anyone, including a diyer can install them.

Yes the OP can legally install it himself.

Just don't let the "Salesman" see this post :evil:

Thanks all.

Have looked at the links supplied by bripl and I quite like the look of the heatweb Pandora system (depending on cost).

Might not have made my options clear in my OP (nothing new there, thankfully my diy skills are far far better than my written communication skills). I want to go the DIY route if it works (I can get hot water at a reasonable price from an all electric thermal store setup). But if it doesn't work and I have to go the megaflow route, are the yearly checks something that can easily be learnt myself or do I have to cost a yearly visit into my budget (which would take it out of my reach, taken out a loan to do the current work)

Many thanks

Phil

Phil
If you go the megaflow option your warranty which is v long on these will be invalid if you install.
As you say they are expensive units so why risk losing the warranty.

As for skills to service the unit you could always try ang get on one of the maufacturers w/end installers course and get your ticket.
When you purchase a megaflow you have an option of having it pre fitted with all the safety controls or self fit this would obviously reduce installtion time and costs and of course correct method and location of the safety controls.

Remember what I said about informing the council as they will enforce the regs on installation.
Pete

You can install a store but not an unvented.

For around £130 you can do the unvented course at most colleges. :cool:

I may be wrong on this..... :LOL:
When I did the unvented course 3 or 4 months ago the college wanted proof that I was either CORGI registered or a qualified plumber.
I am not sure if this is a legal requirement or just an internal college thing.
Stuart

Still not sure which way to go.

The Gledhill Torrend direct 230L is £730 inc VAT but is a coil not a heat exchange, so am not sure if I will get a decent shower from it.

Waiting for my quote back from Heatweb, but have got a quote for the 180Lt Range Flowmax of £1144 which is way way above what I can afford.

Me again.

I've got all my quotes.

Heatweb is £1128 inc vat (210Lt) but includes everything you can think of such as economy 7 timer built in, wiring in place so all I need is one 16amp supply and the system ensures both heaters cant be on at once, electronic scale inhibitor, and does upto 30ltr per min (10 ltr bucket fills up in 16 secs).

So it costs a lot, but LOOKS to be far better than the competition. The Elson Corel E 210Lt is £1240.

However, I'm back to the Gledhill question. This is only £730 inc VAT and addons cant be more than around the £100 mark, but this doesn't have the heat exchanger or pump.

Has anyone got experience of having a nice shower using the Gledhill, it quotes it's capable of 15ltrs per min.

unvented is out due to installatioin hassles and maintenance.

We got a Elsan out back , aint got no shower yet, no siree

Phil your actual flow rate will probably be dependent on the mains incoming to the house, and the resistance of all the pipes within it.
Check what flow you get from the kitchen and outside taps (on together).
Your mains pressure is also worth checking. Buy a gauge for £12 or call your water supplier who can tell you from the postcode.
You have to have the store very hot, so limescale can be a problem with thermal stores - are you in a hard water area?

Thanks for the reples. In an extremely hard water area.

Things are now heading in a different direction. I've found someone I know that's done the course etc, and he's agreed that if I do all the external plumbing, he'll install a megaflow for me for £100 :D

Basically He'll connect the mains supply to the cold water combi valve, I'll run the mains water pipe upto that point. He'll connect the Tundish, I'll lay the drainaway pipe before hand etc.

Seems like a good deal to me. Only thing I've got to do now is work out where to site it. Was going to put it in the cupboard above the stairs but due to the length of the landing, and the way the beams run, in order to meet building regs for the discharge pipe, as it would be over 9m (with elbows) I'd have to cut 35mm holes in about 8 of my joists (and as the pipe must fall, it would mean holes of varying hights etc), which isn't an advisable thing to do in my opinion. My other option is to go through the front bedroom running the discharge pipe diagonally along the skirting and boxing it in. This could be done using 28mm as the run would be almost straight.

Or (if I can get the wifes approval) I could site it in the corner of the kitchen on a nice solid concrete floor with two outside walls and the incoming mains water stopcock 4 feet away. This is my prefered option.

Can get 145lt Direct megaflow for £529 + VAT which seems a lot cheaper than going the thermal store route even if I have to pay someone to come out and check the thing each year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back