brakes seize on when drums tightened

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Talbot campervan and the rear wheel does not spin freely. The drum is held on by two screw pins. When these are tightened the drum does not turn. Once loosened, it does. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have a look on the inside of the drum and make sure there is no lip where the brake shoes sit. Sounds like the shoes a grabbing on the drum.......... could be a brake spring put back wrong or something too.

Neo, Thanks a lot. I didn't think about that. I will check it out. I kinda thought the drum might have been forced against the back plate ..or the shoes were to wide.... but hey... thanks for taking the time to reply.

No luck with the problem. Brake drum is fine. I even tried the other one but the same thing happened. Hmmm!!

Sponsored Links
If the screws are just little M6 crosshead screws, bin them. All they do is stop the drum falling off when changing the wheel............... and we all know what drums are like to get off so it's highly unlikely they're gonna drop off if you get a puncture!

^neo^ said:
If the screws are just little M6 crosshead screws, bin them. All they do is stop the drum falling off when changing the wheel............... and we all know what drums are like to get off so it's highly unlikely they're gonna drop off if you get a puncture!

Hey Neo, I did this and also had the drum skimmed. Eureka!!! It worked like a dream.. you know that feeling when....

Thanks mate.

I would have thought that slackening off the adjusters might have got the same result. Also neo how is throwing away the drum retaining screws going to improve the problem.
regards johnwr :LOL:

Back