kenmore washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a top loading kenmore washer. it will fill with water but no agitation or spin rince. any ideas
thks

Sponsored Links
Do you hear any noises when it should be agitating or spinning? Or is the washer dead?

it makes a sound like it wants to spin. i am wondering if it could be the timer?
thks
ivan

If you hear the motor trying to go during the spin mode, you can pretty much rule out the timer right now. A bad timer contact would give you a "dead" washer effect. If your washer is making the same noise when it's supposed to wash (after the machine fills) then you have a bad motor coupling or belt. If your washer is made after 1986 you have the direct drive style which has the coupling. These are not hard to replace and are inexpensive. The coupling is a 3 piece part that takes the place of a belt on a modern Whirlpool built washer which Kenmore is made by.

Here are instructions on replacing the coupling if these conditions apply to you:

Start by removing the screws in front of the control panel and then flipping the panel back. (Your screws may be hidden by plastic end pieces on each end. Just pull those off to reveal the screws.) Once the panel is back you will see the lid switch harness, just unplug this. You will also see 2 spring clips that must be removed. Stick a straight screwdriver in them and bend them out. Once the clips are out stand in front of the washer and grab the front and side of the cabinet and rock it forward. The whole cabinet tilts forward and you can place it out of the way. You will now see the innards of the washer. To get to the coupler you basically remove the 2 springs clips to the pump and then slide it off the shaft. There is no need to remove the hoses. Disconnect any motor harness connector that is on the motor. Now remove the spring clips attached to the motor and slide the motor out. You will now see the coupler, just remove the 3 pieces and and reverse the what you did to take it apart.

Sponsored Links
i want to thank you for the time you spent getting back with me. if you are ever in savannah,ga i owe you a beer. i followed the instructions and they were perfect. the coupler cost $6.40. now i can call sears and cancel the repairman. you saved me $59.00 right off the bat. if i had your phone number i would thank you personally. i will save this web site for future use. i hope i don't need it but it will be there
thks again and best regards
ivan read
[email protected]

Great job getting the washer fixed Ivan! Also, I appreciate the kind words. Letting us know that you got your washer fixed shows that other people can do it too. Good going once again on the repair!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back