Shower makes a 'thudding' noise when power is turned on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently replaced an electric shower and everything seems to work fine.
Small 'problem' occurs when I pull the power cord to turn the shower on. I hear a kind of 'thudding' noise coming from the shower (or pipe). This doesn't happen every time but quite frequently.
As the shower can only run water when the power is turned on, could this noise be the water pressure released as, after the noise, the shower-head trickles momentarily.
More to the point, is this something to worry about?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your new shower may be a little more powerful than the old one & you may be experiencing a little `water hammer`. Don`t know where your pipes to the shower are located but it would seem that they need to be secured a tad more.

It sounds like the inlet solenoid is opening momentarily, when you energise the supply to the shower, and that the sudden shutting off is betraying a lack of pipe clips (as per Bg's post).

If the shower is designed to do this then I don't know why; alternatively it's faulty, but I doubt that.

The solution is to trace the pipework that supplies the shower, and install pipe clips where you're able to.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying.

There are very few clips on the pipe so i'll sort that out soon.
Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back