supplementary bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing an electric shower- can I use 10mm earth cable for supplementary bonding instead of 4mm as I bought the bigger cable by mistake. Is it safe?

thankyou for any advice

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
the_jinj said:
Perfectly safe! Can you terminate it everywhere you need to though?
as far as I am aware you can only terminate at the consumer unit being an electric shower. Thanks for your prompt reply

You do not need to run the supplementary bonding to the CU (unless the CU is in the bathroom :LOL: ), supplementary bonding is only local to the location.

Sponsored Links
cobra said:
the_jinj said:
as far as I am aware you can only terminate at the consumer unit being an electric shower. Thanks for your prompt reply

Woah, hold it right there...

Where exactly are you connecting this supp. bonding?

Adam_151 said:
cobra said:
the_jinj said:

I was connecting from shower pipe and going to leave the supp bonding hanging over c u so that an electrician could make connection to c u and certify work. thanks cobra

The sup bonding doesn't go back to the CU, it connects to the earths of all circuits supplying equipment within the bathroom zones to all metal work that can introduce a potential into the zones (metal water pipes mainly) and holds them at the same potenital so you can't get a shock between them

Adam_151 said:
cobra said:
the_jinj said:

Well spotted ;)

I just hope it brings a smile to his face as intended, if not, I will grovel, but not to much :LOL:

Any chance someone could update the links above or give me a clear and easy to understand answer.

I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to understand the earthing/bonding requirements for my bathroom. Don't think I've come across two people who say the same thing (i.e. conflicting view abound).

I have a plastic bath, a toilet, a non electric shower, 2 towel rads, 1 proper rad.

On the electrics front I have a 2 wall lights (switched from outside the room - with one having it's own pull cord switch as well) and a pull cord electric fan (that's happens to be on it's own circuit back to the consumer unit).

The bathroom is shared by two bedrooms so it has two doors and therefore two light switches.

Any advice on what needs to be connected to what, and with what greatly appreciated.

Regards
Phil

if you look at the first few entries within each forum (e.g. "Electrics UK") you will usually find pointers to common questions like this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back