Radiator Stuck ON

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I seem to have two problems that are compounding each other. First my radiotors are coming on even when the heating system is set only to hot water. Reading some existing posts the most likely cause appears to be my 3 Port Valve or Reurn Valve. Fixing either of these is beyond me so I\\\'ll call a qualified plumber.

However:- In the interim I have been able to control the problem by shutting down the thermostatic valves on all the radiators. One radiator however cant be shut off. I\\\'ve tried all the usual tapping pushing/pulling the pin.

Am I wasting my time? Is there anything you can suggest?

There is a little silver box by my hot water tank labelled Honeywell 8941. It has a sprung lever that can be set to \\\"MAN OPEN\\\" with a notch at one end of its movement or Auto at the other. Whichever end the lever is at it remains there. Is this part of the problem?

Thanks for any help
As you can imagine the house is positively tropical at the moment.... :confused:

Sponsored Links
as for turning off the rads, the trv maybe passing though you should still be able to stop the flow of water by shutting the lockshield valve at the other end! this can be done carefully with a small spanner if it is too tight for your hand!
the honeywell box sounds like a zone vale for the htg or h/w, if pushed across and not put into the notch it should move back to auto! if not it maybe that the springs inside are gone and that would be your problem!

Hi,
Just a brief note to thank you very much for your advice. I had previously tried the other end of the rad without success. I now realise that this was just because the plastic cover/tap had broken loose. By removing the plastic and using a small spanner as you suggested it closed off just fine.

My hall is now slightly less like the inside of a pizza oven...

As for Honeywell box, if I take the lever away from the MAN ON notch it does spring pull towards AUTO. But not all the way along always stops with about half a centimetre left to go.

Should I now leave it in the MAN ON notch or sprung towards AUTO?

Thanks again for your help.

The Auto position should be the HW only position, ie shut to CH, but the lever should make it right back to the left end of the slot.
Could be it's trying but the valve (brass part) has seized and isn't moving fully.
Probably need a whole new valve.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris,

I think you may be right. Just tried it again. It pings back but always stops the half centimetre short of the end of the slot at the AUTO end. I can then push it with my finger the final bit but this is against definate pronounced friction on the lever from inside the silver box. Once pushed right to the Auto end this friction holds it firmly there.

Again, thanks to both of you for your help. Very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back