Toilet has started to continually flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a Vernon Tutbury top button flush wc installed about two years and have had no problems until recently... now you continually hear a slight hissing of water from the cistern and tricles of water are dribbling down the pan. Anyone any ideas what's went wrong- needs to be replaced.

Sponsored Links
It's either overflowing (internally, assuming no external overflow (progress)) or the valve which lets the water out for the flush is leaking. There are lots of different mechanisms these days, but they all boil down to a bit of rubber making the seal, which you just have to find..

Sponsored Links
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but did you get to the bottom of the problem?

I have a similar problem with my toilet, so I was hoping for some pointers...

Thanks

Most likely to be the flush washer on the outlet - they tend to get a bit stiff/manky and this prevents them making a good seal. Consequence is the cistern gently drains down , then the inlet valve opens to top it up - if you're really lucky thats when the pipes start singing because the inlet valve is being held just open at equilibrium- this normally happens at 3 in the morning :LOL:

The flush mechanism may well be made by another company - Wirquin seem popular - which is why the washers are available in the sheds (B&Q). If you're really lucky the flush mechanism is held in place with lugs on a framwork - all it needs is a twist (bayonet type fitting) and the whole assembly comes out in one piece which makes renoewing the washer a lot easier!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back