Kenmore 3-Speed Automatic Washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem: Washer makes noise and does not spin after being in use during a neighborhood power failure.

While using my washing machine, which did not have any problems before, my city electric company turn off the power in my neighborhood to make repairs. It did not come back until this morning. I tried to continue with the cycle and it is on, but now it is making a noise and it does not spin. We took out the wet clothes and drained it with its cycle, but the noise comes back. It has a rattling noise during the washing cycle and it does not spin.

Did the power failure destroy a part? :!: :?: :!: :?:

Sponsored Links
If your washer will fill and drain ok but makes a noise during the agitate and spin modes and doesn't really move, it sounds like your motor coupler has broken. The coupler is a 3 piece part and not hard to change. It replaced a belt in these type of washers years ago. You may be able to verify this by tilting your washer back and checking the floor for some black dust filings. Here is some rough instructions on changing the coupler if that is your problem and you want to attempt this repair.

Start by removing the screws in front of the control panel and then flipping the panel back. (Your screws may be hidden by plastic end pieces on each end. Just pull those off to reveal the screws.) Once the panel is back you will see the lid switch harness, just unplug this. You will also see 2 spring clips that must be removed. Stick a straight screwdriver in them and bend them out. Once the clips are out stand in front of the washer and grab the front and side of the cabinet and rock it forward. The whole cabinet tilts forward and you can place it out of the way. You will now see the innards of the washer. To get to the coupler you basically remove the 2 springs clips to the pump and then slide it off the shaft. There is no need to remove the hoses. Disconnect any motor harness connector that is on the motor. Now remove the spring clips attached to the motor and slide the motor out. You will now see the coupler, just remove the 3 pieces and and reverse the what you did to take it apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back