New roof for loft conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We have had plans made up to convert our loft in to a large bedroom.

Unfortunately, we have a ceiling height problem, ie not enough!

Adding dormers will add some head room but not enough. The pitch of the roof is too shallow.

Is it feasable to raise the height of the whole roof or am I totally of the mark? We need to retile soon so would do the whole lot as one.

TIA Jim

Sponsored Links
jblack said:
Is it feasable to raise the height of the whole roof or am I totally of the mark? We need to retile soon so would do the whole lot as one.
Yes, it is posssible but the drawing plan will have to be altered and passed by the BCO. Give them a ring as they may accept it, if it's within the building regulations.

You will also have to inform planning of the height change.. be warned making a building higher is sometimes a falling down point with planning

Surely the height issue would have come to light when the plans where drawn up :?:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

It was brought to light when the plans were drawn. We haven't had them finalised yet, just recieved the first drafts for approval/ammendment.

The architect has said it would be tight but possible with the current roof. Looking at the plans I'd only be able to walk down the middle 90cm of a 16mtr loft :LOL:. So I'm exploring the other possible options.

Could always get a very thin bed I suppose;).

We live on an old farm with another property either side. None are listed properties. Do you think it'd go in our favour that we're not in a built up area? One of the neighbours has added dormers and extensions (looks awful) so should this make it easier?

Cheers, Jim

If you really need the loft converted, why don't you lower the ceiling on the floor below. :!:
It's a lot of work, but that will give you the head room in the loft.
In other words the convertsion floor joist will become the new ceiling on the lower floor.

markie said:
If you really need the loft converted, why don't you lower the ceiling on the floor below. :!:
In other words the convertsion floor joist will become the new ceiling on the lower floor.

The trouble with this idea is you're roof will no longer be tied to gether with the ceiling/floor joists

splinter said:
markie said:

The trouble with this idea is you're roof will no longer be tied to gether with the ceiling/floor joists

Ive done a few like that. Aproved by regs.
PS what do you mean by tied to geather with ceiling/floor joist, ?

Your new floor joists should be independed from the ceiling joist.

Unfortunately lowering the ceiling is a no-goer. It's a cottage so only has 7ft ceilings. The apex of the rafters is approx 210cm at the moment. So it would mean lowering by too much :(.

Jim

jblack said:
Unfortunately lowering the ceiling is a no-goer. It's a cottage so only has 7ft ceilings. The apex of the rafters is approx 210cm at the moment. So it would mean lowering by too much :(.

Jim

Oh dear. Basement conversion? Extension? Granny flat shed conversion?

Looks like you'll have to go with an expensive re-roof. Although having said that, if it's only gonna be a bedroom why should it matter? Bedrooms are for lying down and sleeping in! Who needs headroom?

Deluks said:
Oh dear. Basement conversion? Extension? Granny flat shed conversion?

Looks like you'll have to go with an expensive re-roof. Although having said that, if it's only gonna be a bedroom why should it matter? Bedrooms are for lying down and sleeping in! Who needs headroom?

2 bedrooms and an en suite. No basement but the shed idea is growing on me :LOL:.

markie said:
splinter said:
markie said:

Ive done a few like that. Aproved by regs.
PS what do you mean by tied to geather with ceiling/floor joist, ?

Your new floor joists should be independed from the ceiling joist.

As far as I know the ceiling joists on a cut and pitched roof are fixed to the bottom of the rafters .This ties the roof together ,if you lower the ceiling joists they will no longer be fixed to the wall plate or the roof

If your rich and own a helicopter or private jet, go for the roof raising idea. If not maybe explore putting an extension on the side of the house will be more cost effective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back