Kenmore Washer No Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a weeks use with no problems, the hot water will not go into the washer. I checked the hoses, no kink, checked the filter, clean. The hot water is on. It only fills with cold water. Worked well until last night.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the hot water side of your fill valve has quit. You can measure voltage at the hot water side of the valve. If you have voltage and no hot water your valve is bad. You can also check the coil for continuity (no electricity), if you have no continuity the coil in the valve is bad. Do you have a mulitimeter to check this?

Thanks for the information, the washer is a kenmore, 70 series model number 11081878110 heavyduty washer. It is an old model, (1988) but due to moving and storage, it has only about 7 years of use. I get about a minutes worth of hot water, then is stops. I took out the fill valves, put a light lubricant on them and put it back togther, got about a minute of hot, then nothing. I hate to buy a new one if only the selector switch and fill valves need replaced...

If you check the hot water side of the valve for power while the washer is filling in either warm or hot setting, and you have power but no hot water you need to replace the fill valve and this would eliminate the temp. selector switch because you have power to this point. If you do not have power then the switch could be bad. Assuming you have already checked the filter screen behind the hose connection to the hot water valve for built up sediment, I would guess a bad fill valve before a bad temp. switch because it is more common. However, I myself, would do the above test first.

Sponsored Links
Thanks! I went to the Sears website and got the part number for the fill valve based on your help and suggestions. The Cost is $24.99, beats buying a new one for $388.00 THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!
TJB
Retired Veteran

Your welcome and good luck with the repair! I'm in agreement with you on the costs difference. :D

The new water valve arrived yesterday, it needed a small adapter plate attachment (Came with the part) so it could fit the back of the washer. The washer works as good as new, thanks for all the help.

TJB

I think I'm experiencing a similar problem with my 70 Series Model 110.92573210

Hot water quit for no apparent reason, cold water is fine. I opened the control panel, and noticed that when I pressed the plug into the water temperature switch, it worked fine. However, when I release pressure, it stops. Works okay if I stand there for the duration of the fill cycle, but that's not really how I want to do future wash loads ;)

I'm thinking about replacing the switch, which appears to be faulty, but would appreciate some feedback on whether something else might be the culprit. Also, I noticed that Sears charges $8.99 for shipping -- can I order the part through the store to save on shipping fees?

I tried all of the obvious solutions (clean the connectors, reseat the plug, etc.) but none worked. The only way I get hot water (hot or warm settings) is if I apply pressure to the plug seated in the switch.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back