Painting a room after removing wallpaper border

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everybody,

I am in the process of removing a wallpaper border in a bedroom. I don't know anything about wallpaper borders, I'm assuming that the most recent layer of paint matches evenly with the wallpaper border so that when the border is removed an uneveness occurs. I've read in another forum that I should spackle any irregularities in the wall, then sand it down, and then use a polybased filler??? Could somebody please explain to me what that means and how I should go about painting this room so that no irregularities are visible? One of my concerns is that where the border used to be is now a yellowish colored stain. Also, do I have to use a primer before painting this room?

I have another room I have to paint that has no issues except for some nail holes. Do I spackle, sand, and still use primer as well before painting?

Thank you all very much.

Sponsored Links
Firstly the yellowish stain probably comes from the paste. You'll need to wash this off before repainting otherwise the paint will bubble. (Don't ask me how I know!)

If the border was applied over paint and removing it takes off some of the old paint leaving an uneven surface, you'll have a hard time trying to fill it. Bearing in mind the presence of the old paste, you might do better getting it lined with heavy lining paper. If necessary you could do a vertical layer followed by a second horizontal layer to disguise the uneven surface.

Another option might be to fill any holes or dents in the plaster then hire an orbital sander and go over the whole lot, feathering off the edges of the paint layer, then repaint. This will work if the old paint is hard and well attached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back