QUIET pull-cord switch for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I want to replace an old pull-cord lightswitch in my bathroom that has a horrible resonant springy sound everytime its pulled. It is ridiculously loud.
I searched around on the web for something QUIET and found a pull-cord dimmer which is pretty quiet and doesnt use a spring.

However, after splurging £20 on this thing I discovered that my wiring is for lamp only and not the 4-way mains AND lamp wiring which the dimmer seems to require (without ripping holes in my ceiling)

All I want really is something which will take the existing wiring (live, neutral, earth to the light socket)

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
i fitted one of these the other day what cable/ cables have you got coming in to your pull cord at the moment? the one i fitted pull and let go the light comes on pull and let go light goes out pull and hold to set brightness

The existing switch has only live, neutral and earth to the lamp. This is the wiring that is available from the ceiling and I dont want to rip holes in my ceiling looking for mains cabling.

According to the instructions the dimmer needs live in as well as out to the lamp.

I tried wiring it just as lamp out but nothing happened.

cant understand what you are saying what cable / cables have you got coming out of the ceiling at your pull cord position

Sponsored Links
red, black, yellow/green.

Thats all.

At present they are wired into the old noisy switch which has just the 2 connections + earth.

The dimmer has "in live and neutral", and "lamp out live and neutral + earth".

Does this mean it needs mains connection as well?

the red is the live in, the black is the switched live out (thats what was throwing me with your description) yes it need live and neutral in then switched live and neutral out. i take it you cant get into attic above. if not if the cable is loose you may be able to use it as a fish to pull in new cable, if you are lucky

Yes, without ripping holes in the ceiling (there is a room above) I am stuck with a 2/3 wire connection instead of a 5.

The only reason I bought the dimmer switch was because it was the only one advertised as being quiet. Do you know of any bog-standard on/off switches that dont use the horrible loud spring mechanism>?

going to electrical wholsalers tomorrow will try to get some info off them look for a post reply tomorrow.

waterox said:
The existing switch has only live, neutral and earth to the lamp.
No - it's live, switched live and earth. There is no neutral.

Think for a minute about what a switch must do, and then imagine what would happen if you connected live and neutral to it...

waterox said:
The dimmer has "in live and neutral", and "lamp out live and neutral + earth".
Curious.

waterox said:
Do you know of any bog-standard on/off switches that dont use the horrible loud spring mechanism>?
Quality makes are reasonably quiet.

i have a quiet on-off switch. :p

when the string is pulled downwards, it clicks the lights on. there is no "return click". same going off. The string only moves a little bit when you pull it. Must be a very tight mechanism.

No, you cant have it :LOL:

waterox, just read your paperwork on switch and it should work with the twin cable you have, make sure the permenant live from the light fitting goes into the live in terminal of the pull cord. this probably will be the red however it may be the black (you should wrap some red tape around this)
if it doesnt work one way just swap it round

umm ok, where should I attach the other cable?
And should I attach the earth?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back