Run of copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:eek: Hi, Can someone please explain why the copper pipe suppling my shower comes into the bathroom quite near the shower (under the floorboards, next to an outer wall) then runs 12 feet away from the shower (the length of the bathroom), goes up the wall into the loft space, runs back towards to shower(in the loft space), drops through the ceiling and into the shower...?
I am refurbing at the moment and just want to run it straight up the wall and into the shower, thus utilising the wall space it uses now for shelving.
The only reason I can see for this lengthy run is to help prevent the pipe from freezing or am I bonkers?

Sponsored Links
Then the water supply can take the most direct route. Make sure the pipe in the roof space doesn't supply anything else.

Sponsored Links
One [faint] possibility is that the installer intended to fit a cistern in the loft to feed a pumped electric shower. Or simply to make provision for that option.

An example of a reason for wanting/needing to do this would be if the mains flow rate were inadequate or unreliable.

I think your right Softus because the mains pressure is very poor and I'm also looking at the possibility of a pumped electric shower. Problem being the manufacturers will only give a 1 year guarantee (2 years on everything else) which leads me to believe they don't have much confidence in the product.....!
If I don't go for a Pumped shower, what problems might I have if I chase the existing pipe into the brickwork?

nowtaboutnowt said:
I think your right Softus because the mains pressure is very poor and I'm also looking at the possibility of a pumped electric shower. Problem being the manufacturers will only give a 1 year guarantee (2 years on everything else) which leads me to believe they don't have much confidence in the product.....!
I dunno about the two Triton ones, but the Mira "Elite ST" has a 2-year manufacturer's guarantee.

If I don't go for a Pumped shower, what problems might I have if I chase the existing pipe into the brickwork?
Embedding pipework in a wall inevitably causes pain when you (or someone else) has to maintain it in years to come, but you can mitigate the risk by, for example, running a single length of plastic pipework and keeping all fittings and couplings in places that remain [more] accessible.

BTW, if you embed copper pipe in masonry, then wrap it in Denzo tape to prevent corrosion.

If I have to (reluctantly) embed plastic pipe, then I use conduit so that it could be removed/replaced in case of a problem.

Bugger, the only fault I can find with Softus` answer is DenSo :cry:have you been on holz ;) :?:

B*gger also - I really thought I'd typed "Denso", but my finger must have slopped onto the 'z' key. :evil:

In answer to your question - yes. Didja miss me Nige?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back