wiring ceiling roses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed a fluorescent tube and installed a light with a ceiling rose in my kitchen. My first time so I forgot to mark the wires :oops: The light works fine, but the switch won't turn the light on and off. I have four live (red) wires, 2 black (neutral) and 1 earth (yellow + green) to work with.
All suggestions as to how to identify the switch wires gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
buy a multi meter, and learn how to use it.

after all you wouldn't expect a fire man to turn up with out a fire engine would you, so why not get the right tools for the job

moose look in the reference section and if you cant work it out post to say you cant work it out and i will talk you through it

Sponsored Links
but basically three red together (only one of the two core red cable) one red of the two core red cable to the live of the light and the two blacks to the neutral of the light all earths together

fireman22 said:
breezer, whats the problem

i have no problem

read the op post again, he said
moose25 said:
All suggestions as to how to identify the switch wires gratefully received.

hence get a multi meter and learn how to use it

breezer, yes but unless its a wind up, i am just assuming this person has read a little and is just trying to sound more switched on (pardon the pun) than they really are. i get a bit fed up with this site and drift in and out sometimes for a month or two at a time, but there is something satisfying to help someone who is willing to have a go.

i am only replying to the question that was asked, he may want to know how to identify the switch cable, in which case my reply stands, and since that is what he asked, he did not ask where does each cable go, since he knows one is the switch cable, he just wants to know how to find out which it is

ok you mentioned 4 red wires are two of them from the same cable if so they are almost certainly your switch wires.

if both are solid red then connect them either way round, if one is actual red insulation and one is black insulation sleeved red then the convention is to use the red as permanent live and the black sleeved red as the switched live.

Thanks guys,
Didn't expect to start an argument.
All working fine now.

moose25 said:
Thanks guys,
Didn't expect to start an argument.
All working fine now.
well some people on here have rather large ego's, so it happens quite a bit, not naming any names. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back