Internal Soil Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with an Internal soil stack.

I have had drainage problems with my bathroom waste (all feeds into one pipe) which goes into a soil pipe which drops through the bathroom and through the kitchen.

I have had a CCTV survey, and it appears that the elbow at the base of the SVP has come apart, meaning that waste water is going into the footings of the house.(!) :confused:

I live on this side of a hill, and the manhole in the garden is about 3 meters deep.

My question is this. Is this something that could be fixed by excavating outside the house, or will the kitchen floor (concrete) have to be dug up? I suspect it will take a really deep hole to get to the drains. Will there be provision to repair this from outside?

Sponsored Links
Can't see you getting access from outside. There will be (hopefully) foundations in the way. "Deepest" sympathy.

What's the construction of the floor? If you're on a hill, is there a void under the floor or solid ground? Is the soil pipe on the uphill (deep) side or the downhill (shallow) side? How do you think the builder installed the original soil pipe?

Interestingly I have just moved a WC and re-routed my soil pipe but with relatively easy access under the floor. My retired plumber neighbour insisted that I "benched" the pipe on the outside of a corner joint with a lump of mortar so as to prevent rushing water pressure from pushing the joint apart in future years.

I live on the side of a hill, so the site is level front to back. The Soil is at the back.

All floors on the ground floor are solid.

The drainage company have quoted £700 to excavate outside and fix it from that direction.

I will try the house insurance.

Oh knickers. It looks like a grim Xmas

Sponsored Links
Household ins .should pay ........so it`s only the excess you`ll pay ..usually under £100 ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back