Citreon AX10 valve timing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced the cambelt on the AX10 and it fails to start, I think I have got the valve timing wrong and the service and repair manual is not clear as to the position and timing marks on the crank and cam wheels. Can anyone HELP?

Sponsored Links
Im guessing you mean a AX 1.0ltr?
There is a hole in the camshaft sprocket which needs a peg put through to line up with the mark behind it, and another one on the gearbox end of the block which locks off the crankshaft.
If you have those 2 right, it should run. Maybe a little tweak of the timing is needed on the distributor?

Following may/may not be helpful.

If the cam and crank shafts have not moved while the belt was off then timing should be correct. Were you able to lock the cam shaft? The crank will not move on it's own. (Battery should be disconnected all the time belt is being changed)

The only AX cambelt I have changed was on a diesel. I remember the tensioner adjustment was a bit awkward. Did you get that right?

I think you will know if the piston crowns have come into contact with the valves. It won't sound good. Did you take the engine through a couple of rotations with a socket on the crank shaft pulley before trying to start it? This would tell you if the piston crowns were contacting the valves. You will come to a stop. Try this gently, with battery still disconnected.

I had this same problem on a Fiat Brava. Failed to start after cam belt renewal. Tried everything I could think of and was panicking that I had got the valve timing wrong. I went back to basics and made a piston position indicator with lengths of dowel and all sorts. Of course I had got it right.

The problem was the TDC sensor mark on the crank shaft pulley wheel. Undo three bolts. Turn the pulley wheel 120 degrees to get mark in correct place. Bolts back in. Bobs your uncle.

If you are satisfied that you have done a thorough job of replacing the belt and ensuring the crank and cam shafts remained in synch. then you probably have. Try looking at anything peripheral you may have disturbed.

Btw I use tippex to mark positions on the belt wheels against corresponding marks on the engine block and cylinder head. Belt and braces! You will be sure that your crank and cam shafts have not moved.
Bit late now I know.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will give it another try at the weekend, I am beginning to feel I have not been as careful as I should have been, the belt and braces rule slipped the net this time, (complacency :oops: )

Back