Air in HW Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had/have a very noisy HW Cylinder. There is a constant sound of running/sloshing water. I drained the cylinder (by turning off the water supply to the cylinder) by turning on the HW taps in the house. Once empty I refilled the cylinder and hey presto the noise stopped ...... for only 24 hrs. I think there must have been air in the cylinder, which I got rid of, but now it has returned, how do I permanently solve this problem??? (There is no bleed valve on the cylinder)

Sponsored Links
i am not a heating engineer or plumber but may i suggest you read this

as even to me your post seems lacking information

Do you mean the noise is CONSTANT? ie it NEVER stops?

When does the noise occur?

Is it only when the heating system is heating the water?

The operation that you did was to empty the cylinder and refill to get rid of air. Air in the cylinder gets out by going out of the top of the cylinder and up into a vent pipe to the cold water feed tank.

Sponsored Links
In response to oilman:

The noise is constant (never stops) when the HW is on. The moment I turn it off, the noise stops. It could therefore only be making a noise when it is heating, something I hadn't thought of (this is my first house and I'm therefore new to diy!).

There isn't a thermostat on the cylinder, in my old rented house there was, could it be that my cyliner is always being heated?? (just thinking aloud). But if that was the cause of the noise then it would have done it even after I had refilled the cylinder would it not?? I really don't know anything about plumbing and would be grateful for any tips that I could try. Thankyou.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back