Washing machine doesn't always start, probably a door issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My washing machine (Ariston Margherita) is a bit erratic - sometimes when you turn it on it does nothing, sometimes it's fine. I think ti's the door catch - if I make sure the door is tightly shut and that it is not being pushed back by the laundry inside, then it works fine - i.e. the electrical contact inside that is checking to see if the door is shut properly isn't properly engaging 100% of the time.

My question is - is there any simple maintenance I can do on the door to make it shut properly every time? If it's not fixable fine, but it would make my life a little bit easier if I could sort it out - it seems silly to splash out on a full repair or replacement for such a small thing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply - do you know how much that would cost? And could a moderately skilled person fit it themselves or would I have to get somene in to do it?

Sorry, haven't got a clue as to price. Dead easy to fit, release the door boot from the front panel, couple of screws releases the interlock, change wire for wire and resassemble.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, you've been very helpful. The job sounds doable (I repair computers for a living but can't claim I'm an expert on washing machines, hence unsureness) - I will let you know how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back