showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I AM FITTING A 8.5KW SHOWER WITH 10mm CABLE, CAN I USE A 32A FUSE OR SHOULD I USE HIGHER :eek:

Sponsored Links
8.5kw = 36.95 amps and you can't apply diversity to a fix load

You will need a 40amp MCB if you want a hot shower

Sponsored Links
Caps=SHOUTING...please don't shout

Why are you confused? You need a 40amp MCB...do the maths

8500watts / 230volts = 36.96 amps so a 32amp breaker is to small

sorry for the shouting,

pensdown, thanks for the advice will buy 40a fuse in morning :oops:

You should also ensure you have 30mA of RCD protection!!

35 or so Amps of Current - and Lots of Spraying Water = Potential Risk of Shock.

Fit your MCB to the RCD side of your consumer unit (if it has one), failing that, add a 40A 30mA RCBO (if you can get one that fits!) - or if not then fit a seperate shower CU by taking a 40A feed from your current CU , or if you can't do that then split the tails before your consumer unit and add the shower unit using Henley service blocks!

The bathroom is a special location - do you know this work should be notified to the council and also any work should be checked & tested.

Are you up to the job?? Are you also aware that if you don't have it tested then peoples lives are at risk , can you live with yourself knowing somebody electrocute themselves because your setup (FUSES!!!!) may not disconnect from the supply within the times specified by BS 7671 (0.4 seconds or 5 seconds!! - equipment dependent.

Why not get a spark in, ask him if you can run the cabling etc (under his supervision/guidance) - then get him to do the final connections and issue you with your test certs etc!

Would be worth it in my mind! But its up to you - your house!

New2Game said:
Taking into account for diversity, 32A will be fine

Please don't post anything unless you are sure it is correct. It is very misleading, and confuses DIY'ers no end.

Who taught you that diversity can be applied to a fixed load? They want shooting, and you need to go back to college!

securespark said:
New2Game said:
Taking into account for diversity, 32A will be fine
Who taught you that diversity can be applied to a fixed load? They want shooting, and you need to go back to college!
well, if you average out the load the shower draws over a period of time, a 6 amp MCB would be plenty sufficient ;)

jondiy said:
You should also ensure you have 30mA of RCD protection!!

35 or so Amps of Current - and Lots of Spraying Water = Potential Risk of Shock.

Fit your MCB to the RCD side of your consumer unit (if it has one), failing that, add a 40A 30mA RCBO (if you can get one that fits!) - or if not then fit a seperate shower CU by taking a 40A feed from your current CU , or if you can't do that then split the tails before your consumer unit and add the shower unit using Henley service blocks!

The bathroom is a special location - do you know this work should be notified to the council and also any work should be checked & tested.

Are you up to the job?? Are you also aware that if you don't have it tested then peoples lives are at risk , can you live with yourself knowing somebody electrocute themselves because your setup (FUSES!!!!) may not disconnect from the supply within the times specified by BS 7671 (0.4 seconds or 5 seconds!! - equipment dependent.

Why not get a spark in, ask him if you can run the cabling etc (under his supervision/guidance) - then get him to do the final connections and issue you with your test certs etc!

Would be worth it in my mind! But its up to you - your house!

you know your stuff mate giving suggestions on many ways you can wire up a shower.
Guess your very well up in house bashing :D
A property Developers ideal sparky- Everything is possible

:D

btw the way i work out amps is 4amps to 1000watts very quick and simple way if you aitn got a calculator to do watts/230 volts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back