Boiler recommendation for Single Pipe system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single pipe heating system with gravity fed hot water.

I want to upgrade the boiler and system to be fully pumped.

I also want to move the boiler to the loft and a header tank is out of the question due to head height.

Can anyone recommend a boiler to suit.

4 bedroom single bathroom around 14 radiators of various sizes, 5 upstairs and 9 downstairs. ( most have been replaced, but pipe loop is original.)

I presume a sealed system and would prefer high efficiency boiler.

I have read somewhere that condenser may not be suitable in a single pipe system, and older pipework may not take the pressure of a sealed system.

Any advice or recommendations, before I engage a heating engineer?

AP

Sponsored Links
My advice is to engage a GOOD heating engineer before you do anything else.

FIRST check that he understands single pipe systems!

A single pipe can be very efficient with a condensing boiler ( which you have to have now anyway ) !

Tony

points to consider.

You have to have a condensing boiler now, subject to a points system which you will be unlikely to have.

The system has to be upgraded with thermostatic valves, and system controls.

According to the size, The house will need to be zoned.

And as you rightly say, the higher pressure could cause a problem with the old pipes.

The thermostatic valves, especially made for one pipe systems are around £40 each, normal ones will not work.

Taking that into account it may be better and cost affective to replace the lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back